Author Topic: Voltage Regulator Star Washers  (Read 2655 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Voltage Regulator Star Washers
« on: January 05, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Anyone have a pic of what these look like?  They are not included in the hardware kit from NPD and they were recently added to the 2018 judging rules
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline jwc66k

Re: Voltage Regulator Star Washers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »
Use of a part number (found in the Mustang Electrical Assembly Manuals) would help. It's 34940-S36, and is shown in AMK, but they only sell the -S8 (clear zinc) as a single item.
Jim
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:47:04 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
Hi Jim,

Is that also used on the ground strap as well? I'm on my phone since I am at work and unable to view the spreadsheets efficiently

Chris
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
There are 3 ground points for 65-66 engine bay harnesses where tooth washers are used... 1 at the voltage regulator, one at the firewall ground and one at the rad support in the corner by the battery.  The original washers had a wide tooth pattern, which are somewhat difficult to find. 

Also, note that the tooth washer goes on the screw last before installation, I see this installed incorrectly on a lot of show cars... although I probably see more show cars completely missing the washers.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »
Is that also used on the ground strap as well?
There are 3 ground points for 65-66 engine bay harnesses where tooth washers are used... 1 at the voltage regulator, one at the firewall ground and one at the rad support in the corner by the battery.
As stated, yes. All three are 34940-S36 for 65 and 66. The difference for 1964 Mustangs is a -S8 finish. Apparently Ford changed the finish to facilitate conductivity.
The original washers had a wide tooth pattern, which are somewhat difficult to find. 
Quite possible, I have a few of those on the shelf. Typically they referred to as "9 tooth" as used for 64; 65 and up are 12 tooth. The "technician" in me said use a new one and the ones I took off my 65 and 66 cars were the of the 12 tooth variety.
Also, note that the tooth washer goes on the screw last before installation, I see this installed incorrectly on a lot of show cars...
The theory is multiple contact points on grounds, as in between the ring lug and the body. The external toth lock washer is not used to retain the screw.
.. although I probably see more show cars completely missing the washers.
Without a guide or drawing, it is simply forgotten. The Mustang Assembly Manuals do have a use.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:40:38 PM »
There are 3 ground points for 65-66 engine bay harnesses where tooth washers are used... 1 at the voltage regulator, one at the firewall ground and one at the rad support in the corner by the battery.  The original washers had a wide tooth pattern, which are somewhat difficult to find. 

Just to show the style of washer Charles is describing

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:57:13 PM »
Found a few unrestored cars with the arrangement described above. Did find a number of unrestored cars without any washer - maybe there is an explaination

5F07A2706xx Between the voltage regulator and the ground wire

5F08C7275xx  Between the voltage regulator and the ground wire  like 5F07A2706xx

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 12:29:04 AM »
Keep in mind that the screw holding the regulator to the radiator support was a common grounding point for the LH headlight, LH parking light, the alternator and LH fog lamp (if equipped). The screw on the right side to the radiator support was a common grounding point for the RH headlamp, RH parking lamp and RH fog lamp (if equipped).
Jim

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 12:38:48 AM »
Jim,

You mentioned the different number of teeth on the washer. Do you or perhaps Jeff know when the transition was? Or what was used at San Jose
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 01:26:09 AM »
Jim,
You mentioned the different number of teeth on the washer. Do you or perhaps Jeff know when the transition was? Or what was used at San Jose

Sorry got side tracked a little with starting with the Dearborn examples but knew I had some nice examples in that group. Now to specifically your need.

Since I know when your car was built found this example of the car that I've used a number of times to help answer your questions built about the same time as yours.

Hard to see it in the grainy picture (blown up from a more distance one) and because much of the washer is hidden behind the eyelet but you can make out one of the spokes of the squared end star washer - red arrow.

Hope this helps and I got it right this time  ::)

Jeff Speegle

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »
is the regulator star washer supposed to be yellow cad/zinc or silver zinc?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 04:58:09 PM »
By using your forum ID, I assume you have either a 65 or 66 Shelby. The external tooth lock washed is gold zinc plated (I prefer to keep its color requirements simple) as signified by the -S36 designation.
Get into the habit of entering your car's year, plant, VIN (the Shelby VIN is appropriate) when you post a question.
You might look in the forum's library under Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 64-66 which would cover almost all Shelby wiring.
And you might consider getting a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your car's year.
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »
The Shelby number and approximate build date of the car at San Jose is most helpful.  Providing the Ford VIN of a 65-66 Shelby is a bit of a no-no.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 12:46:43 AM »
"rad support in the corner by the battery. "

Anyone have any pics of this area...??  I've seen everything under the sun done in this area and I'd like to see some original examples as a guide as I don't think I have any..

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 12:57:43 AM »
"rad support in the corner by the battery. "

Anyone have any pics of this area...??  .....................

Have tons but need to know the context. Where did the quote (reply number?) come from?   So that I can get an idea of what you want to focus on and if there is a particular plant or time period. Especially since were moving away from the voltage regular - the focus of the thread ;)
Jeff Speegle