Author Topic: 65 Gas Cap Wire Retainer Nut  (Read 1937 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 Gas Cap Wire Retainer Nut
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2022, 01:25:58 PM »
I believe the intent and use of the special nut and sealer. My question remains: outside of the torque requirement specified in the Chassis Assembly Manual, there is no reference or mention of the nut spinning in any Ford documentation.
Jim

Why would the special nut be used then?  If one were to use a regular flared base nut, say like a smaller version used on the the coil spring covers, even with sealer, the nut would lock the position of the stud on the retainer cable.

I just know that when this nut is used, it allows the cable stud to rotate in the hole, which makes it easier to position the cap/cable properly.

There are service replacements gas caps that came with a locking style nut, which I believe the intent was also the same.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 Gas Cap Wire Retainer Nut
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2022, 07:40:13 PM »

Why would the special nut be used then?  If one were to use a regular flared base nut, say like a smaller version used on the the coil spring covers, even with sealer, the nut would lock the position of the stud on the retainer cable.
I just know that when this nut is used, it allows the cable stud to rotate in the hole, which makes it easier to position the cap/cable properly.
There are service replacements gas caps that came with a locking style nut, which I believe the intent was also the same.
All well and good. Ford makes no mention of the "spin". The seal can be justified as a method of keeping exhaust fumes out of the car's interior (a federal requirement?). The locking nut was to keep the cap from being stolen. In case you were not around in 1964, there were two very desirable items for thieves to steal related to the "new" Ford Mustang - the grill mounted "pony in the corral", and the "gas cap". As stated, early 1964 1/2 Mustangs did NOT have the cable retaining system.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.