Author Topic: April 16th Pace car/Dearborn- which hood and headlight buckets?  (Read 378 times)

Offline rustang

April 16th Pace car/Dearborn- which hood and headlight buckets?
« on: September 21, 2022, 04:55:25 PM »
I have a factory 64 Pace Car Coupe project and want to verify which style hood and headlight buckets I should have.  I've seem the early hoods with tapered front corners with headlight buckets with the taper on the top of them but I've seen some "restored" pace cars recently and one very nice one at Mecum and believe they had the later rolled edge hood and non-tapered tops of the headlight buckets.  I may be assuming wrong but thought the pace cars were built at around the same time so I assumed the hoods and headlight buckets would be similar.   Can someone tell me what the correct parts are for my April 16 (per door tag) Dearborn car and be specific with the hood as I believe there are 3? versions..  Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:59:24 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: April 16th Pace car- which hood and headlight buckets?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 06:10:49 PM »
Tapered/beveled headlight assemblies and rolled under hood edges with no small crush triangles on the bottom structure of the hood (at the front).  This was a Mustang detail during the time of the beginning of assembly, up through about late April with the hood type, which around that time changed to the typical '64.5' turned out edges version.  The headlight assemblies were the same from the beginning of production to around mid-September '64 or so.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rustang

Re: April 16th Pace car- which hood and headlight buckets?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 09:54:33 AM »
Thank you so much for the quick response. I went out and looked and the car has the correct original hood and is in good shape so that is a relief versus trying to source one.  The headlight buckets on it have the later style flat tops where it meets the hood and were red on the backside so not original but I believe a set with the angled/tapered top area may be buried in the trunk.  Thanks again the clarification.