Author Topic: Strut Rod Bushing & Washers  (Read 4558 times)

Offline CW4macret

Strut Rod Bushing & Washers
« on: January 05, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »
I was looking at the thread below on strut washer because I got a comment on my judge sheet that mine were facing backwards.  I just thought it was a mistake because I always have installed the washers so that the cone covered as much rubber as possible ( cone to the inside ).  Today I was over by a 66 T code I have waiting  restoration and thought I would look at the washer and nut on it’s struts. Well I will be darn, the washer on it have the cone facing away from the rubber. So is this picture correct installation?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:15:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Cone in or out
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:54:37 PM »
The washers should cup the rubber.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
The washers should cup the rubber.
+1. I think aftermarket kits for some reason will instruct to mount the washers the odd counter intuitive backward way. That might be one reason many get reversed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »
+2 Agree the aftermarket instructions and pictures of cars on the internet with them  have lead many to make the incorrect choice

Reposting some 66 San Jose examples  - sorry the first post were of 65 Dearborn - was focused on that period while looking for pictures for another post today

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:10:13 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dsielke

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
Both of my San Jose cars have never had them removed as far as I know and they face out. Dec. 1, 65.on T-code, one A-code. I suspect it was at the whim of the person installing and which plant.
6R09A138419: 1966 GT Fastback, Springtime Yellow
6R08T138429: 1966 Convertible, Tahoe Turquoise

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:08:45 PM »
Both of my San Jose cars have never had them removed as far as I know and they face out. Dec. 1, 65.on T-code, one A-code. I suspect it was at the whim of the person installing and which plant.

Have never seen original San Jose washers installed like that and not likely that all of the inspectors would have missed that at one of the stations.  After looking at 10's of thousands of examples I would believe they have been removed and installed that way. Does the washers have the lip around the edge like originals? Pictures shows a reflection on one that makes it appear that it was zinc but maybe its just the flash. Maybe they were changed out when they swapped out some of your other front suspension pieces shown in your picture

Easy enough to post a hand full of examples from the same time period and plant as your car but that would take up off of thread slightly.  Guessing your car is in the 6R143xxx range?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:24:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:20:12 PM »
If that is the case how can you explain how many of us that work on SJ cars typically see them cupped in? It seems more logical that the contour of the washer would follow the contour of the rubber bushing rather then the exact opposite. The assembly line manual for 6cyl ,V8 drum and V8 Disc brake illustrations are illustrated to indicate cupped in installation.  I only checked the 65 shop manual but the illustration in suspension section 3-2 under " front suspension-typical"is cupped in also .I suspect the other years manuals  follow suite.   It would seem given the obvious factory engineering direction plus the many first hand observations that many of us have seems to indicate that it would be more of a mistake type anomaly rather then a common practice whim of the person installing If they are installed in reverse .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dsielke

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:30:16 PM »
Easy enough to post a hand full of examples from the same time period and plant as your car but that would take up off of thread slightly.  Guessing your car is in the 6R143xxx range?

They are both 6R0_1384XX. I just went into the garage. The convertible does not appear to have been changed and as far as I can tell the washers and nuts are correct based on previous threads. It does appear the bushings on my GT have been replaced with poly bushing some time ago. I have only owned them both for 20+years so anything is possible in the 20+ years before that I guess.  :)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 12:18:30 AM »
+2 Agree the aftermarket instructions and pictures of cars on the internet with them  have lead many to make the incorrect choice

Some pictures of unrestored 65 Dearborn cars to illustrate

The strut rod washers don't look phosphate and oil to me.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 12:55:58 AM »
The strut rod washers don't look phosphate and oil to me.
Jim

Sorry should have posted 66 San Jose examples. Changed them out for 66 San Jose examples  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:10:42 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
66 san jose washers phos and oil or zinc plated?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
66 san jose washers phos and oil or zinc plated?

Phosphate/oil
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Offline dsielke

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 06:10:29 PM »
I assume these washers are aftermarket and the nuts original?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 06:45:33 PM »
I assume these washers are aftermarket and the nuts original?
Yes those after market washers and the instructions stamped into them are a example of why some are installed differently then assemblyline.