Author Topic: Standard Spare Tire Hold Down Washer  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Standard Spare Tire Hold Down Washer
« on: November 25, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
There are a few threads which talk about the various year's spare tire J-hook and wingnut.
I've seen a smattering of info about the large washer, but not in one thread.

I'm currently holding a 4" OD with the 3 tabs bent down at approximately 2 1/4" in both a production and a repop, with the later having less definition in the center pop-up and a 4" without any tabs at all.

While useful to find out what I have, I think a discussion of all the years and options would be useful.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:14:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Spare Tire Hold Down Washer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
There are a few threads which talk about the various year's spare tire J-hook and wingnut.
I've seen a smattering of info about the large washer, but not in one thread.

I'm currently holding a 4" OD with the 3 tabs bent down at approximately 2 1/4" in both a production and a repop, with the later having less definition in the center pop-up and a 4" without any tabs at all.

While useful to find out what I have, I think a discussion of all the years and options would be useful.
It should be mentioned that you are talking about a steel wheel hold down washer vs a deluxe wheel of any type washer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Spare Tire Hold Down Washer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
It should be mentioned that you are talking about a steel wheel hold down washer vs a deluxe wheel of any type washer.

Adjusted the thread title to help ;)

Will work on span of years next since the ones Bill showed in the first post were not used through out the classic period
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

Re: Standard Spare Tire Hold Down Washer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »
Although my build is steel wheel centric, I was thinking more along the lines of every washer, every year.

But I'm ok with steel wheels for now!
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »
Although my build is steel wheel centric, I was thinking more along the lines of every washer, every year.

Not every classic year used a washer to retain the spare tire - the reason for the earlier mention ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 10:51:22 PM »
Right.

Off the top of my head the 67 Shelby with Magstars or 10 spokes doesn't use a washer.
68s use the hole in the jack handle.
My 70 B2 uses a bit of square pad for the space saver.
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »

You are under a mistaken assumption regarding the Shelby spare tire hold down washer. All 67 Shelby's used a hold down washer . The steel wheel use the larger one and the deluxe wheels used the smaller one.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:18:56 AM by Bossbill »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »
Right.

Off the top of my head the 67 Shelby with Magstars or 10 spokes doesn't use a washer.
68s use the hole in the jack handle.
My 70 B2 uses a bit of square pad for the space saver.
I believe the 70 B2 had a circular pad (little smaller in diameter of space saver wheel ) which was used to cushion and eliminate rattles between the contact of the wheel and the jack/jack handle.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:19:24 AM »
You are under a mistaken assumption regarding the Shelby spare tire hold down washer. All 67 Shelby's used a hold down washer . The steel wheel use the larger one and the deluxe wheels used the smaller one.

I should know better than to try 'off the top of my head.'
I thought I'd seen a smaller washer before, but that's why I started this thread.

The MPC lists two replacement washers.
A 4" O.D. 3 tab washer, C5ZZ-1424-A listed for 65/7 models
and a C8MY-1424-A for 68/9 listed for styled steel wheels. Is this the 'no tab' replacement washer?

The 4" flat washer in the first pic has no tabs and I see that Jim's (jwc66k) SS
uses a washer of this style, but flipped so the raised area is 'up'.
Maybe he can report back its diameter.

Richard (67gtasanjose) shows his washer with tape next to it and the witness marks indicate it too is used flipped so the raised area is 'up' as well for his SS wheels (I believe he has those wheels). The width appears to be around 4", but the parallax may be fooling me.
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 12:29:58 AM »
I thought I'd seen a smaller washer before, but that's why I started this thread.

and a C8MY-1424-A for 68/9 listed for styled steel wheels. Is this the 'no tab' replacement washer?

Would suggest that you don't use the MPC as a starting place since it will not list what was originally used but what was used to service the part after the car was new ;) Might confuse things.

As for 69 styled steel here is a picture of Bob P's 52 mile 69 with styled steels. Matches jack instructions

Scott Fuller makes the 68 version with no tabs. You could check his site and compare the two

Did get your other note - will look into it  ???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:42:55 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
Unrestored 65 Dearborn -  5F07T6286xx

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 07:12:05 AM »

The 4" flat washer in the first pic has no tabs and I see that Jim's (jwc66k) SS

Richard (67gtasanjose) shows his washer with tape next to it and the witness marks indicate it too is used flipped so the raised area is 'up' as well for his SS wheels (I believe he has those wheels). The width appears to be around 4", but the parallax may be fooling me.

Stats to add to these two aspects of the discussion:
1.) I have in my possession a Service Replacement, New In Box, 70's to 80's packaging, C5ZZ-1424-B "PLATE" (originally one of two per package), measures 4 inches exactly, identicle to Jim's in appearance (no finger tabs), obviously "dipped" SGB with runs etc.
2.) The one pictured that I initially shared regarding the "correct "J"-Bolt in another thread, also measures exactly 4-inches and is identicle to the service replacement I have on hand (excepting witness marks which could also be caused by riding loose in trunk for several years)
3.) Marti Report for my project DOES NOT list Styled Steel wheels though all evidence suggests these wheels were delivered to the original owner. I state this just in case any inconsistancies are presented by my photos. What I know is that when I purchased the car in early 1978, I had 5- styled steel wheels with 5-trim rings present using the previously-pictured hardware. The current understanding is that my Coupe was very likely used as a Dealer Demo of sorts. Marti shows almost 1-year between Release Date and recorded 1st sale, plenty of time for a Dealer-Swap of the wheels and spare tire hardware. This situation also leaves about 10-years of time for a previous owner to have made the swap. I consider the 2nd scenario "less likely" than a dealer swap, given the un-cared for, dilapidated condition I purchased the car in (it was pretty beaten up), like as though any previous owners did not care at all about taking care (preserving or upgrading) the car. There were also absolutely no other deviations from the Marti-Report when I purchased it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:26:08 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
I did talk with Scott Fuller and he gave me permission to repost some of his pictures here of the C8MY version of the washer. It appears to be smaller than flat and 3-pring versions.

I also have a 60-67 version of the MPC Illustrated manual which shows the washer flipped on the (model 63) 2+2, versus the other models. It does make me wonder why they would show it if it had no meaning. Perhaps part of the J-hook length scenario?

I understand the MPC and Assembly Manual information is not necessarily what went on cars, as Jeff's pictures show ...
Bill

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 07:55:17 PM »

It's 4 inches in diameter. Lay it flat and it's 5/16 in thick. The material is 0.080 in thick steel. Per the original owner, Mike, and its second owner, Bob (I'm number 3), it is the hold down washer that came with the car. Whether it's Ford p/n C5ZB-1424-A as shown in the 65 and 66 body assembly manuals for Style Steel Wheels use or not, I cannot say. Strangely, the assembly manuals show its use for Hardtops and Convertibles. I have the original spare, a Style Steel Wheel with an original Dual Red Line tire, per Mike. It could be dealer installed.
(Note in the picture in the lower left corner that there is no "ribbing" on the edge of the Dual Red Line tire.)
And remember, a service part number is NOT always the original factory part number, it is one that works as a service replacement. Use a service part number at your own risk.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.