Author Topic: 1968 Coupe Trunk Torsion Rod Insulator  (Read 122 times)

Offline 1968Cally

1968 Coupe Trunk Torsion Rod Insulator
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
Hi, My name is Dave and I just joined this forum due to my purchase of a 1968 GT/CS that is quite nice IMHO.  Attached are a few pictures.

I am trying to figure out what is correct for the Trunk Torsion Rods anti-rattle.
Currently, the rods are cinched together with a S-shaped clip.  On either side of the clip, on both rods, is the anti rattle spiral rubber/plastic pieces that extend all the way over to the 90 degree bends at each hinge.

I know the 65-66 coupes used a bracket that cinched the rods up to the underside of the package tray support and kept them apart.

Not sure what is correct for the '68.  Is that S clip that I have on there now not correct?  Should the anti rattle spirals just be a foot or so long in the center where the rods touch?  Any info is appreciated.  Pictures would be great!

Thanks.

Dave

Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1968 Coupe Trunk Torsion Rod Insulator
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »
Dave,
Welcome to the forum.
The only references to the trunk I can find are in the GT/CS registry (1996, Paul M. Newitt). It says "The GT/CS Trunk Lid is . .  identical to the one used on the '68 Shelby convertible." and a "- CS-only deck lid spring."
That's not much and there is no reference to anti-rattle or clips, but there is a lead to what possibly was used, Shelby.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
Dave,
Welcome to the forum.
The only references to the trunk I can find are in the GT/CS registry (1996, Paul M. Newitt). It says "The GT/CS Trunk Lid is . .  identical to the one used on the '68 Shelby convertible." and a "- CS-only deck lid spring."
That's not much and there is no reference to anti-rattle or clips, but there is a lead to what possibly was used, Shelby.
Jim
Thanks, Jim.  I found a picture of a GT/CS and it does have the S clip and the rubber insulators like I have.  I am going to assume that the S clip is correct.  Not sure why the rubber insulators go all the way to the hinges as the rods are far apart at that point.
Dave

1968 GT/CS

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
The S clip is correct for a 68 SJ car there were no rubber parts. On your trunk correctness thread on calaforniaspecial.com the photos of Mike J's. GTCS clearly  shows the S clip. That is a MCA Gold award concours trailered car and a good one to look at details on. The spiral rubber anti rattler was used in other assembly plants in 68.
I found a picture of the S clip on our 68 HCS.
Marty
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:18:30 PM by ruppstang »

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »
The S clip is correct for a 68 SJ car there were no rubber parts. On your trunk correctness thread on calaforniaspecial.com the photos of Mike J's. GTCS clearly  shows the S clip. That is a MCA Gold award concours trailered car and a good one to look at details on. The spiral rubber anti rattler was used in other assembly plants in 68.
I found a picture of the S clip on our 68 HCS.
Marty
Once again, thank you Marty.  Sorry I have been such a pain.  After I posted, I did remember to go back and look at that car and indeed saw the S-clip and no rubber insulator.   With SJ only using the clip and no rubber explains why I saw what looked to be concours type cars having it both ways.

I just found this site a couple of days ago and it seems to get a little more traffic than the GTCS forum.  This wraps up the trunk thankfully.

Dave 
Dave

1968 GT/CS