Author Topic: GT stripes: Wet/Dry application & how to cut  (Read 124 times)

Offline Angela

GT stripes: Wet/Dry application & how to cut
« on: January 09, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »
Forgive me if the following has already been discussed. Concerning the installation of factory GT stripes, I'm looking for some help with these questions:

(1) Is it best to try and apply the vinyl stripes using some sort of "decal application fluid", or try it dry?  I recently installed new decals on a skid loader and I used a mixture of water and dish soap, which worked very well. I see that NPD sells a decal application fluid called "slide-on". Suggestions?

(2) I'm installing GT stripes onto my GTA. The stripe kit does not come already cut out for the GTA emblems. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to accurately cut out the rectangular opening in the stripe for the GTA emblems?

(3) Do I wrap the stripes around the edges of the fenders and doors, or do I cut them short of those edges by some small amount?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: GT stripes: Wet/Dry application & how to cut
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »
Guess your working on a 67 GTA?

Forgive me if the following has already been discussed. Concerning the installation of factory GT stripes, I'm looking for some help with these questions:

(1) Is it best to try and apply the vinyl stripes using some sort of "decal application fluid", or try it dry?  I recently installed new decals on a skid loader and I used a mixture of water and dish soap, which worked very well. I see that NPD sells a decal application fluid called "slide-on". Suggestions?

I would stay with the dish soap and water if it were me. Not suggesting anything is wrong with the commercial product - just sticking with what I know works for me.  Would not try them dry

(2) I'm installing GT stripes onto my GTA. The stripe kit does not come already cut out for the GTA emblems. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to accurately cut out the rectangular opening in the stripe for the GTA emblems?

Cut out the opening before you try and align it. Believe there is enough extra length that you can center it on the emblem location one you put it up for alignment. I normally apply these while the car is on a lift so that I can eye the stripe location down the side easier

(3) Do I wrap the stripes around the edges of the fenders and doors, or do I cut them short of those edges by some small amount?

The originally wrapped around all the edges. At fender openings all the way around to the edge of the metal. At door edges, if I recall correctly maybe 1/2". Will see if I can find and post a couple of pictures to help with this. Can you tell us what factory produced your car so I can focus on what was done there specifically ?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:55:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »
OK, thanks Jeff, I'll stick with a few drops of dish soap within a small bottle of water.

My fastback was manufactured at the SanJose facility.

When you say cut out the opening for the GTA emblem, do you mean cut a rectangle the size of the emblem plus 3/8" more at all edges???

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Well Optioned
2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »
Richards post should help allot

As promised here are some pictures of how the ends were treated

GTA Emblem cut out

Front fender

Rear wheel well opening

Unfortunately don't have any San Jose 67 examples at the door jambs so can only offer the same task, same plant by likely the same workers from the prior year
Hope this help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)