1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Louver hinge and latch locations

(1/2) > >>

Angela:
I have a couple questions concerning the rear window louver hinges and latches:

(1) Does anyone have measurements, a template or similar information to relocate the rear window louver hinges and latches? Let's just say you have the roof re-skinned and you're an idiot (me) and don't create a template or have the original roof anymore. Rest assured I've already kicked myself in the rear a million times about this. At this point I just need help so that I can relocate and reinstall the rivet-nuts that hold the hinges and latches.

(2) I have my original hinges which I intend to reuse. I do not, however, have the latches (I moved, twice and cannot find them... I fear they're in the attic of a garage I no longer own). Can anyone comment on the quality and accuracy of the NPD "concours correct" latches? (NPD # 44274-1A)

(3) AMK sells a kit including the rivet-nuts for this application (AMK F-3254). Are these a good choice for this hardware?

J_Speegle:
Sorry don't have a template nor measurements (my car is in storage and not easy to get to this moment. 

For the hinges I've always just used the louvers with hinges attached to locate where to drill the holes for the rivet nuts. I first center the louvers on the rear window with the hinges after I've covers the approximate area where the hinge holes will be drilled. Once I get the louvers all nice and where I want them I mark the masking tape though the mounting holes (with the gaskets in place also) and use them for a guide. If you want to it a second time. Mark with a different color then average (if there is a slight difference) between the marks and go from there. The latches are a bit different in that I would get a measurement from a factory built car at least from the edge of the rear window opening to the top edge of the mount or gasket edge.

Sorry can't be of more specific help on this one at this time

7Lscjracer:

--- Quote from: Angela on January 10, 2018, 10:38:02 AM ---AMK sells a kit including the rivet-nuts for this application (AMK F-3254). Are these a good choice for this hardware?

--- End quote ---

AMK has the factory order install hardware and the dealer accessory install hardware, so be sure to choose the appropriate kit.

Brian Conway:
Picture is of the hardware that came with my car and louvers.  Jeff's suggested method; trial mount/fit and masking tape at proposed drill sites would be the way to go. Personally I would rethink mounting them at all ?  The same mounting method should be used for the lower latch's.  Brian

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Brian Conway on January 11, 2018, 10:43:49 AM ---Picture is of the hardware that came with my car and louvers.  Jeff's suggested method; trial mount/fit and masking tape at proposed drill sites would be the way to go. Personally I would rethink mounting them at all ? ...............................

--- End quote ---

Good point
If your considering showing your car or if planning on selling adding louvers can be a negative. Just depends

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version