Author Topic: Found the noise coming from my engine compartment!!!  (Read 636 times)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Found the noise coming from my engine compartment!!!
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:47:04 PM »
 I wanted to post this so it could potentially help someone else in the future.. Background info,, I am currently working on a 1966 Mustang coupe, with a 289 and C4 automatic.

Recently I have been hearring a rattle coming from the engine compartment but only when I am driving. I did the typical troubleshooting and it sounded like a loose fan shroud or something alone those lines. I checked and re tightened multiple items to no avail. It would also come and go, not being consistent or happening everytime you drive or even every day. Hard to track down...
 So yesterday I actually found a few things, one was there were a couple of screws missing from the front grill. Thought that could be the rattle but no-go. :-\  I went out last night to grab a few things at the store and as I backed down our driveway I heard it again. I had my wife step on the brake while I listened under the hood. I found the noise coming from the bell housing. I did some research online and read similar sounds/issues resulting from loose flywheel/flexplate bolts, a bent or bad flexplate, loose torque converter nuts, and so on.. I feared the worse but later I removed the inspection plate and found nothing. I then removed the starter to see if anything was scraping,etc.. When I pulled the starter I noticed the bendix /gear was loose or at least moving more than what I am used to seeing. I had another new starter on the shelf and decided to replace it. BINGO!!! The loose bendix must have been falling back just touching the ring gear enough to make the rattle. I am hoping this might help others in a similar situation. Don't give up on your quest to find that rattle or noise!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:45:26 PM by Hipo giddyup »
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'