Author Topic: 68 FB Parchment Interior Paint Contrast  (Read 1059 times)

Offline 68GTFastback

68 FB Parchment Interior Paint Contrast
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »
Should the parchment paint be an exact match with the vinyl on the seats, doors, etc? I have seen a contrast in the painted colors on some cars. I have also seen cars with a satin black used on the overhead metal work, trim, and trap door. My car was built at San Hose in Sept. 1967.  THANKS,

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 FB Parchment Interior Paint Contrast
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
Should the parchment paint be an exact match with the vinyl on the seats, doors, etc?

Exact - likely no but way off - don't believe so

I have seen a contrast in the painted colors on some cars. I have also seen cars with a satin black used on the overhead metal work, trim, and trap door. My car was built at San Hose in Sept. 1967.  THANKS,

Are you referring to "restored" cars?  Not often a guide you want to use IMHO for restoring a car.

On 68 Ford choose to change what had been the practice in earlier years and finished the upper painted panels (from the thin molding upward) to a darker color. The trap door originally would have been painted (both sides) to match the panels to the left and the right and would be the lighter (in your case parchment)  from everything I can find on unrestored cars on both fold down and non-fold down equipped fastbacks that year
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline A12pilot

• My cars and blog
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:37:21 AM »
Jeff,

Not to Hijack this thread but with related topics, my 68 Saddle interior has what you said as well:  all the panels above that thin interior belt molding are, what I think look like, black.  Would they be black or are they a dark charcoal or something like that?  Is there a color code for those upper panels on the fastbacks?  My panels are pretty faded from the TX sun where the car sat outside, so the true color is not shown. 

Cheers

Dave
Dave
-1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee -MCACN Gold 2017
-1968 Mustang S-Code GT Fastback
 (8F02S)..390-4spd, deluxe interior, both consoles,  convenience group,  reflective group, 8000 rpm tach,  AM 8-Track, fold down seat,  tinted glass,  all paperwork/ numbers matching, built late December

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 01:33:51 PM »
................. Would they be black or are they a dark charcoal or something like that?  Is there a color code for those upper panels on the fastbacks?  My panels are pretty faded from the TX sun where the car sat outside, so the true color is not shown. 

Dave great point that I overlooked mentioning. I would say yes they were most likely painted the same color (those panels) as the "black" interior fastbacks so in fact dark charcoal metallic  for the OPs request

Thanks for the reminded and making this  a more complete and helpful answer to the OP's question
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:49:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »
I was thinking on a 68 saddle interior the upper panels would have been dark saddle not the charcoal color like a black or parchment interior?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:21:56 PM »
I was thinking on a 68 saddle interior the upper panels would have been dark saddle not the charcoal color like a black or parchment interior?

Sorry thought he had limited the "black" comment to the OP not to his application.  Once I reread should have made that clearer. Agreed and that (the dark saddle detail) was covered in an earlier thread for 68 fastbacks

This thread may help

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17095.msg107475#msg107475
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68GTFastback

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »
I have determined that many of the Parchment interior fastbacks had matte black trim above the quarter trim, and around the corners and below the rear window. In fact, there is a cobra jet within 40 miles of my home with the original interior and with the black trim. Others have been brought to my attention that had original interior trim. Can anyone explain or confirm the origins of those with the black trim?  Thanks     

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
I have determined that many of the Parchment interior fastbacks had matte black trim above the quarter trim, and around the corners and below the rear window. In fact, there is a cobra jet within 40 miles of my home with the original interior and with the black trim. Others have been brought to my attention that had original interior trim. Can anyone explain or confirm the origins of those with the black trim?  Thanks     

Can't explain why but can confirm that the Parchment 68 fastback interiors used a black dash pad and the rear interior panels above and including the thin divider or trim molding was dark charcoal metallic / "Black". Its also noted in many decoders as Parchment with Black

8F02C1360xx

Please disregard the owner added slats  ::)

Jeff Speegle