Author Topic: 70 Hurst Competition Shifter finishes  (Read 1314 times)

Offline HDAshmore

70 Hurst Competition Shifter finishes
« on: March 01, 2019, 08:51:04 PM »
Good evening,

Is there a definitive article or thread that shows what the individual pieces of a Hurst competition shifter for 69-70 toploader are plated or finished in?  I am talking specifically the rods and shifter body pieces.  I understand the handle is natural and the shifter bar is chrome.  I did a cursory search but could not find anything.

Thanks,
Dam 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:42:16 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Hurst Competition Shifter finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »
Did change the title since the Hurst shifters were not used in 69 .

Will move it to an appropriate area ;)

As a related item the Boss 302 Registry has an information page showing mostly handle and knob details

http://www.boss302.com/hurst.htm
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:21:26 PM »
J,

Thanks I am still learning a ton and say/assume stupid stuff all the time.  Great information to help spot a fake, thanks.  I see the rods look Zinc dichromate maybe?  Do you know what the body of the shifter is supposed to be finished in?  Is it bare, clear zinc, oil, phosphate, ...?  Are there other finishes internal that I need to worry about.  I have never messed with one or tore one apart but I have one on the way, original I hope!  I know I can send it in to Hurst but I have no idea what they charge and that kinda takes away from the experience.  Unless everyone recommends that is only/best way to go I want to try it myself. 

Thanks
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:49:18 PM »
The main body and arms I believe were cad or zinc - basically silver plated in color just looking to confirm that and find documentation for you
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
This is a restored Thoroughbred '70 Boss 302 if it helps.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 09:16:50 AM »
Rockhouse,

Thank you for the picture, it helps visualize.  Looks like a really nice car!  I am looking for what the actual finish is on each part so I get them finished correctly when I turn them in to get refinished. I'm not experienced enough to know what finishes are by looking at it.     

Thanks,
Dan   

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:12:29 AM »
This place is an authorize Hurst repair/restoration shop.  I sent my 70 Hurst shifter for full restoration and it came back just like it was in 1970.  I could not have been happier.  They are great to deal with.  I even bought original NOS shifter bushings in the correct color from them, but in the end since I had planned to drive my car I gave them to someone who was building a concours trailer queen.  Something about 1970 bushings holding up long term just did not sound like a chance I wanted to take out on the road.  Good luck.

https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/productcart/pc/contact.asp
1970 Mach 1 351 4V 4spd Metuchen Built