Author Topic: 1967 Wire retainer/ Hood wiring/ trunk courtesy lamp wiring.  (Read 1093 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 Wire retainer/ Hood wiring/ trunk courtesy lamp wiring.
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:42:37 PM »
I am looking for a segment of wire with the trunk coutesy lamp wiring retainer on it. I am aware they were molded, however I am willing split it and cement it to the new harness.

-Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 1967 Wire retainer/ Hood wiring/ trunk courtesy lamp wiring.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:01:20 AM »
Assembly manual calls it a locator.

It is true, the locator is identicle to the locator used on the hood lamp wire near the bottom of the hood. I was able to locate only one, yet I needed two. I made a copy (mold) of the visible part using Plastex and while the Plastex mixture was yet not set up (hardened), immediately inserted a pre-trimmed Christmas Tree type retainer so it bonded to the section you can actually see (once installed). Not a perfect solution, but the best I can come up with too (unless I find another original locator). For now, my plan is to use that 'clone copy' on my hood lamp wire.
I had considered having a few dozen copies made (using my one original to cast a mold from, for others such as you) but my 'molder' contact didn't call back again before I had somewhat successfully made one of my own. I wouldn't say my copy is an extremely good one but it will suffice. ( perhaps a good topic for another thread)
I will say that the original ones can be slipped off of the end of a cut-off wire. I do not think you will be able to "split' this item and reuse it .
I installed my original one that I had found onto the trunk lamp wire. I drilled out the inside, where the wire runs through it to the diameter of the braided wire. (Alloy Metals made my wire).  I then cut the reproduction wire a few feet feed forward from where the locator needed  to be intstalled and slipped the locator down to where it needed to be bonded to the braided-covered wire. (measurement found in another thread).  I then soldered and used heat shrink at my splice location. The area of my splice will be over top of the wheel well and hidden. I also plan on using the described cloth tape thatt the factory used (every 12 inches or so) positioned over top of the splice. This way all of the work will be 100% hidden and not able to be detected.

Btw: The original locator is made out of a softer plastic or rubber-like material.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:05:29 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 12:09:43 AM »
I needed one for the trunk courtesy lamp lead. I had Jim make mine as well. Perfect, but no locator. I'd take one like that if you had one.

-Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:43:47 AM »
I needed one for the trunk courtesy lamp lead. I had Jim make mine as well. Perfect, but no locator. I'd take one like that if you had one.

-Keith

I'll look for the mold I made up, perhaps I can try another attempt. If memory serves, I split the mold some with a razor to remove my newly formed 'locator' (retainer) clip without breaking it. I am not sure how well another attempt will go, using the mold again. The original 'locator' one I cast the mold from has been installed onto my trunk harness wire already. I made that mold while the "locator" was off of the wire, so I cannot make another mold using the original one (more correctly, I am not willing to take it off again to make another mold from it).

Hind sight being 20/20, it may have been a good idea to cast a few molds to have more than one attempt, but...
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
Richard:
We all have those moments. I wish I would have thought about making spares and patterns for others when I was dealing with tough things not readily available.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
Richard:
We all have those moments. I wish I would have thought about making spares and patterns for others when I was dealing with tough things not readily available.

-Keith

My dad always stressed that with me.  Make more than you need. Save the best and a spare then sell the others to those in need. I try and practice that when needed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)