1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1966 Metuchen undercoating product/color?

(1/4) > >>

evantugby:
Hello,
66 FB Metcuhen-build.  I am curious if someone can tell me what undercoating Metuchen would have sprayed onto my undercarriage and identify an equivalent product today that I can purchase.

Would love to also see pictures of the undercarriage of a Metuchen built Mustang too. 

Thanks!
Evan

carlite65:
the assembly plants did not undercoat the cars. that was done at the dealer if at all. assembly plant used sound deadner in the rear wheelhouses and under the front fenders. they are two different products entirely. suggest you do a search here in the library section for more info.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: carlite65 on January 20, 2018, 09:39:16 AM ---the assembly plants did not undercoat the cars. that was done at the dealer if at all. assembly plant used sound deadner in the rear wheelhouses and under the front fenders. they are two different products entirely. suggest you do a search here in the library section for more info.

--- End quote ---

+1

Your undercarriage would have had a red oxide epoxy primer sealer applied from the firewall rearward by jets mounted below the moving unibody then sprayed with another application of similar red oxide from the firewall forward by hand. Rear wheel wells would have had sound deadener applied to the rear wheel wells when the same product was applied to the trunk and interior areas  while the front wheel wells would have received sound deadener after all the painting was done and the car pretty much completed to seal out water and protect from other things.

Should be plenty of prior threads relatd to what others have had success with as far as reproducing the original look (heavy thick lumpy drippy ;)  of the factory sound deadener.

bryancobb:
Here`s a couple of pics of my MAR 66 Metuchen Conv. after I cleaned off the road grime.  It is ORIGINAL and never been touched below the rocker mouldings.

Disregard the incorrect Arvinode exhaust.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: bryancobb on January 21, 2018, 10:39:18 AM ---Here`s a couple of pics of my MAR 66 Metuchen Conv. after I cleaned off the road grime.  It is ORIGINAL and never been touched below the rocker mouldings.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting (kept me from having to do so  :)

They are also a good example of how camera and light setting can change how a color looks. The last three pictures are a stark reminder of this.
For everyone that will view this post can you tell us which picture (with your given monitor settings) is the closest in tone and tint to the color in person?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version