Author Topic: source for 66 satin wiper arms  (Read 1813 times)

Offline edwardgt350

source for 66 satin wiper arms
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:19:15 AM »
is there a source for correct satin wiper arms?
brush metal. some suppliers are selling painted arms not actual brushed metal.
tia

Offline NEFaurora

Re: source for 66 satin wiper arms
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:20:24 AM »
If I were you, I'd check ebay for some good used originals.

Are you looking for the Arms themselves (Just the arms), or just the Blade holders (which hold the rubber wipers), or the whole thing?? Please specify.  '66 only had one specific type of arms and blade holders whereas '64.5-'65 had like two different types used.

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:01 AM »
If I were you, I'd check ebay for some good used originals.

Are you looking for the Arms themselves (Just the arms), or just the Blade holders (which hold the rubber wipers), or the whole thing?? Please specify.  '66 only had one specific type of arms and blade holders whereas '64.5-'65 had like two different types used.

Tony K.
You are mis informed . 66 had two types of satin blade holders. A early style the looked like the polished stainless 65 holder only satin and the later 66 style used also on 67 and 68.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline edwardgt350

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
looking for arms only. not blade holders.
also, straight or flanged caps?
mid year 66. (april)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:48:01 PM by edwardgt350 »

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »

"A early style that looked like the polished stainless 65 holder only satin"

Geez Bob..

Never seen one of those!

Any pics?
MCA#70001

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
looking for arms only. not blade holders.
also, straight or flanged caps?
mid year 66. (april)
The satin 66-mid 68 Mustang arms only came with the flanged caps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rrenz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
Ive beat this horse to death. My original arms were in decent shape shape however the chromed pot metal ends are a bit tarnished. They were rather shiny so I figured they had just dulled out over the years so I replaced them with chrome arms. Come to find out they were satin that had just shined up over they years. I ordered a set of reproduction satin arms and installed them. They were on the car for about 5 minutes before coming right back off. I put the chrome 65 arms back on until I can find a better solution for the satin arms. The reproduction arms look very cheap and not right. I'm hoping someday ill find someone who can restore my original arms. :-\
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
Bob and I were referring to the Wiper Holders being like a Smooth '65 Wiper Holder...Only Satin..

We were NOT referring to the actual Wiper arms themselves... though thanks for the pic..

Jeff and Bob,

I see a picture referral guide coming in the near future....would be pretty simple to do...just throw up pics of each of the types..

Tony K.
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 10:50:21 PM »
Wiper condition today after 50 years has allot to do with what we we and find on these cars. Left alone many can show the affects of the elements on the finish while cleaning and polishing can create differences in the other direction

Here are some examples from all the same time period at San Jose in 66 (6R130000-about 136000)

And from later in the year

6R163xxx

6R178xxx

6R186xxx

6R196xxx

6R2042xx

Personally for the vast majority of the production year (later period of the two) I would focus to find something that looks like the example 6R196xxx above. Happens to belong to a car I've know since the 80's very nice unrestored car that spent most if its life (after the initial years) stored inside under covers but not polished and detailed.  Don't think its ever been buffed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:52:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 02:28:00 AM »
"A early style that looked like the polished stainless 65 holder only satin"

Geez Bob..

Never seen one of those!

Any pics?
Here are some pics of the different holders

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 02:36:43 AM »
Ive beat this horse to death. My original arms were in decent shape shape however the chromed pot metal ends are a bit tarnished. They were rather shiny so I figured they had just dulled out over the years so I replaced them with chrome arms. Come to find out they were satin that had just shined up over they years. I ordered a set of reproduction satin arms and installed them. They were on the car for about 5 minutes before coming right back off. I put the chrome 65 arms back on until I can find a better solution for the satin arms. The reproduction arms look very cheap and not right. I'm hoping someday ill find someone who can restore my original arms. :-\
The originals may be worth restoring 50 years in the future when there is no alternative and then it will be prohibitively expensive unless money is no object. There is a lot of labor to disassemble the arm ,take the diecast hub flange off ,repair the pits , re satin chrome plate the finish (special plating) and reassemble. There are still many out there in good condition to find. I have a few excellent pairs to sell in case you cant find any . Remember millions of Mustangs (66-mid 68 ) used them. That means a lot are still out there. The trick is knowing where to look.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
Thought I would add a few pictures of a service replacement/NOS to show finishes that had not been exposed to the elements or owners over time.  Every time I rotated it slightly for the pictures the arm and base looked closer or further from looking the same. All about the angles :) Yes all the same arm

WA-1

WA-2

WA-3

WA-4

WA-5

WA-6
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:16:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 12:19:00 AM »
Thought I would add a few pictures of a service replacement/NOS to show finishes that had not been exposed to the elements or owners over time.  Every time I rotated it slightly for the pictures the arm and base looked closer or further from looking the same. All about the angles :) Yes all the same arm

WA-2

WA-3

WA-4

WA-5

The pictures WA 2-5 show the mid 68-70 style wiper arm. The clip on the bottom is curved .The assemblyline 65-mid 68 arm is straight. It is a detail that stands out when you are looking for it. You indicated that they were service parts which are typically later. If you compare the pictures to the other ones Jeff posted you will see the flat clip compared to the curved clip in WA 2-5
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:21:07 AM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 12:25:54 AM »
The pictures WA 2-5 show the mid 68-70 style wiper arm. The clip on the bottom is curved .The assemblyline 65-mid 68 arm is straight. It is a detail that stands out when you are looking for it. You indicated that they were service parts which are typically later. If you compare the pictures to the other ones Jeff posted you will see the flat clip compared to the curved clip in WA 2-5

Sure one of us can dig out a flat style and post it to show the earlier style for comparison. Didn't have the time today  since those are all put away in round tubes
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:57 AM »
You have to be careful when searching for or cleaning the satin wiper arms. The satin is easily damaged and removed if rubbed on too hard or if you use a too abrasive of cleaner. Once the satin looks shiny then they are ruined for use on a concours 66-mid 68 car. You can't polish them successfully to use on a 65 because the diecast hub is a satin chrome and different and less shinny then regular chrome like on the 65 arms. It will not polish up as brilliant. The point being they are ruined for concours use regardless of if for 66-mid 68 or 65.