Author Topic: Wheel Covers / Hubcaps / Center Logo  (Read 657 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Wheel Covers / Hubcaps / Center Logo
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:40 PM »
So I have the original Mustang hubcaps that came with my car on my garage wall and a set of NOS ones I use for MCA shows (first picture).  Out of the other pictures what hubcaps were available in October of 64 and what center logo would be on them?  Could the hubcaps from the Falcon and Galaxies be used on Mustangs?  Just thinking about some different options to show the car but still be correct
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Wheel Covers / Hubcaps / Center Logo
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »
SS wheels & the ones you have with a spinner added come to mind. i don't believe there were any others offered that would be correct.
5F09C331248

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »
I have SS wheels as well but those have the BF Goodrich radial tires I use for local shows.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:13:06 AM »
The ONLY Falcon hubcaps that would have been used on Mustangs were the Wire Wheel Hubcaps... but there were many different types of Ford Wire Wheel hubcaps.  They have to be the right Wire Wheel Hubcap for the time period of the car.

Take a good look at the VERY LAST picture that you posted with the (6) Hubcaps....

ALL those hubcaps would be correct for your '65 Mustang EXCEPT the last BOTTOM RIGHT TWO Wire Wheel hubcaps.  Those are considered '64 1/2 Hubcaps....and they have the BIG SPINNER with a Red/White&/Blue Crest. 

The very most Top Right Wire Wheel hubcap is "Considered" correct for regular '65-'66 Production cars.  It has the smaller, thinner Spinner with a Blue Center and Ford Crest.  It is the most common Wire Wheel Hubcap.  It is also Reproed and you can buy them through NPD.  They are also "Correct" for the 1966 "Sprint 200" Cars as well.

Keeping all this in mind, Back in the 1960's, If a buyer of a Mustang wanted a new set or a different set of hubcaps than what was Originally supplied on the car, They usually got whatever the Dealer still had in stock... Mixing and matching '64 1/2 Hubcap sets with Regular Production '65 cars and even '65 hubcap sets with '66 cars and so forth.  The Selling Dealer could do whatever he wanted...and often did.  And if the New Selling car Dealer was in the Ford Dealer Selling Network, but Sold other Makes of cars as well....Fuggetaboutit.....Anything goes..  Some Car Dealers in the 1950's and 1960's sold New Ford cars, but WERE NOT Ford dedicated Dealerships (Even though they were in the Ford Selling Dealer Network), and sold other brands of cars as well...not just used cars...but other NEW Brands.  I would assume that ended sometime in the late 70's and early 80's..  I remember quite a few Dealerships in Pennsylvania and here in Florida that sold Multiple NEW brands of cars. They were mostly smaller Dealers with Small Dealerships. It would be interesting to know what the Dealer Restrictions were at the time... Somehow I don't think they got obeyed and Ford probably didn't care too much at the time as long as the money was still rolling in...and the checks cleared....They just didn't tell HFII...

:o)

Tony K.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:31:41 AM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 05:40:55 AM »
Chris I think your falling in to the trap of wanting to make you car stand out or be different from the others. A pretty common things that often turns around and make you "that guy..."

As far as hubcaps the dealer would put anything that was available at the time or what was still around from the prior period.  They just wanted to get the sale made and the money in their pockets. Now this fact does not always translate directly to showing your car and having the judges look the other way. So if you go out of the box you will be taking your chances  for a number of those choices. Remember those bigger cars used 15" wheels also

Yes I've owned cars (did have the original window stickers to document) that hubcaps designed and sold for other Ford models were placed on the car prior to the sale.  The last one was a special order paint 70 convertible with real wire wheel hubcaps - odd looking things because that is what the buyer wanted (no fake wire wheels) and it was the third convertible she bought from the dealership so I'm pretty certain they wanted her money again and knew what was goign to make the deal happen
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:46:11 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Hey Jeff,

I'm still going to use the "standard" hubcaps at MCA shows.  Just looking for a different look at local shows when I keep the steel wheels on the car.  Was at Wooward and the South Eastern Michigan Mustang show and saw some Mustangs with the spinners and wire wheels and they looked good on those cars.  Just curious what was available that time period.
Chris
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 11:01:32 AM »
Any of the wheel covers in your image #5 above would be available.  Although that generic one on upper right (with image oriented correctly) is butt ugly  :D ;D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin