Author Topic: 67 Thunderbird Negative battery cable  (Read 4198 times)

Offline KevinK

67 Thunderbird Negative battery cable
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:16:33 AM »
Not sure if this would apply to similar Mustangs. While cleaning up the original battery cables, I noticed yellow paint on parts of the cable end, cable end bolt and also on the battery cable insulation (bottom side). This cable end was the Brass type I have seen on mustangs but this one was coated with something like lead.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Thunderbird Negative battery cable
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
Not sure if this would apply to similar Mustangs. While cleaning up the original battery cables, I noticed yellow paint on parts of the cable end, cable end bolt and also on the battery cable insulation (bottom side). This cable end was the Brass type I have seen on mustangs but this one was coated with something like lead.
I haven't noticed any paint markings on 65-70 Mustang battery cables before. I would be interested if anyone else has.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »

No haven't seen any paint daubs and marking on battery cables. Not really a need for it I would guess. Most of the lines would only have a need for one to a max of three different cables from the cars built on that particular line - not easy to confuse them with one another and the numbering may have been all that was needed along with them being held in different bins at that station.

We do see the top positive posts of batteries marked on original batteries as a reminder for workers. Red goes to red - red cables to the red post
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 12:26:08 AM »
While there was not much paint left on it when I noticed. It did extend to the clamp bolt head, side of the brass cable end and maybe 1/4” onto the cable insulation. The insulation was cracking off but still intact on the bottom side.  It was more of a spray than a dab.

The engine choices for this model was only two, 390 and 428, Not sure if there was a difference between them.

BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:19:44 AM »
While there was not much paint left on it when I noticed. It did extend to the clamp bolt head, side of the brass cable end and maybe 1/4” onto the cable insulation. The insulation was cracking off but still intact on the bottom side.  It was more of a spray than a dab.

The engine choices for this model was only two, 390 and 428, Not sure if there was a difference between them.
There are not a whole lot that is comparable to a Mustang from a assemblyline detail aspect. Meaning no disrespect from my perspective (Mustangs/Shelby's) they make great parts cars because of the engine and transmission that can be used as core parts. Some nuts and bolts are the same too. The trick is knowing what you can use on a Mustang and what you can't. Battery cables is not one of them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:20:18 AM »

Would think that both used the same cable.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »
There are not a whole lot that is comparable to a Mustang from a assemblyline detail aspect. Meaning no disrespect from my perspective (Mustangs/Shelby's) they make great parts cars because of the engine and transmission that can be used as core parts. Some nuts and bolts are the same too. The trick is knowing what you can use on a Mustang and what you can't. Battery cables is not one of them.

I only mentioned it Incase someone else saw signs of it. I thought it was quite odd.  My tbird is not a Concours car and honestly, there is not much outside the MCA for Concours. No disrespect as I placed this in the non mustang.

Incidentally, I did find the 86-93 Mustang positive cable from Motorcraft to be an excellent replacement.  Additionally the Foxbody and tbird often share parts.
BAMA Member