Author Topic: Hope this site is better protected than SAAC Forum  (Read 1695 times)

Offline DKutz

Hope this site is better protected than SAAC Forum
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
Please tell me that is website is better backed up and protected than SAAC was.  It would be horrible to lose all the info on here...
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline rodster

Re: Hope this site is better protected than SAAC Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »
+1000
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »
My understanding is that C. Turner backs up the forum regularly (probably once a month).  He works in the IT area as his day job, IIRC, so he pretty much knows what needs to be done.  He is one of the two main administrators. 

The worst that has happened to this forum is when Photobucket dropped its free support and required a $300 annual fee to use their service.  Many of the photos used for reference were stored on Photobucket and now are difficult if not impossible to retrieve.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rodster

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
My understanding is that C. Turner backs up the forum regularly (probably once a month).  He works in the IT area as his day job, IIRC, so he pretty much knows what needs to be done.  He is one of the two main administrators. 

The worst that has happened to this forum is when Photobucket dropped its free support and required a $300 annual fee to use their service. Many of the photos used for reference were stored on Photobucket and now are difficult if not impossible to retrieve.

There is/was a browser 'fix' for that.  Don't know if it's still working but it was before the big SAAC crash and burn.

Do you find it an issue here?  I don't recall having a problem viewing photos.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:06:21 PM »
We pay extra for daily backups.  We can also download full backups of the database and the web server file system at any time.  There's a couple higher levels of site hosting that we may consider which have an even higher level of backup/restoration options.  Also, other improvements such as dedicated virtual servers instead of being on a shared system. 

Randy is right that I work in IT as my regular job.  I'm employed by a large bank, so the systems that I work with are enterprise level.  This site is a basic apache web server with mysql database and SMF forum software.  It's not very complicated and I like to keep it that way.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 10:42:46 PM »
There is/was a browser 'fix' for that.  Don't know if it's still working but it was before the big SAAC crash and burn.

Yes; there are many old threads with photobucket links that do not show the picture.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:25 PM »

Depends on the thread and the poster. I have been going through all my old posts as dead links are discovered, uploading the pictures to the gallery here and then reattaching the link so that they stay fixed. If the link die now it means we have a big problem and you likely cant see the thread anyway.

Believe we are in good hands - betting a fair number of years and time to it  ;) Additional efforts may mean more cost as will loading/storing more pictures on the site.  Hope we never have to deal with the issues SAAC and the Hipo site have seen - EVER
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
I don't know about the backup of this site but it is still using the older http site address and www. Both of those things are disappearing because of security issues, modern forum hosts are all using https addresses.

Please tell me that is website is better backed up and protected than SAAC was.  It would be horrible to lose all the info on here...
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »
I don't know about the backup of this site but it is still using the older http site address and www. Both of those things are disappearing because of security issues, modern forum hosts are all using https addresses.

We're not exchanging social security or credit card numbers, so the urgency is low.  Our hosting provider offers an extra cost cert, but I don't believe it's justified for our site content.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
We're not exchanging social security or credit card numbers, so the urgency is low.  Our hosting provider offers an extra cost cert, but I don't believe it's justified for our site content.

You might consider it to protect passwords while in transit during the login process. Certificates can be had for free these days: https://letsencrypt.org/

These need to be renewed every three months, but that's easy to automate if you have shell access on your hosting platform. Something else to consider is that browsers will soon be warning users when they visit sites that aren't TLS-protected. Just wait until the confusing alerts start popping up!
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)