Author Topic: kelsey hayes caliper discrepancies and red color found  (Read 2403 times)

Offline evantugby

kelsey hayes caliper discrepancies and red color found
« on: February 11, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »
Here is a set of KH calipers with casting #58977 and both stamped with 1B. Not sure what that means. 

Note:‎  Take a look at the two differences‎: #1 the bolts and #2 one has a secondary casting number A56982 (I think) while the other caliper with the larger bolt heads does not have a secondary casting number.

What is going on with these two differences? 

Also, would they have had a red paint mark on them (last picture). I see faint red color on the top. 

Thanks,
Evan
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: kelsey hayes caliper discrepancies and red color found
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
Here is a set of KH calipers with casting #58977 and both stamped with 1B. Not sure what that means. 

Note:‎  Take a look at the two differences‎: #1 the bolts and #2 one has a secondary casting number A56982 (I think) while the other caliper with the larger bolt heads does not have a secondary casting number.

What is going on with these two differences? 

Also, would they have had a red paint mark on them (last picture). I see faint red color on the top. 

Thanks,
Evan
I have not found a red marking on them before. More likely it is a paint left over from a previous rebuild or the like. What car, engine , time frame are you building the car to look like. I have heard about a clone Shelby and various other things. The calipers had a certain look depending upon when they were made and what kind of wheels were being used. That is why the info is relevant. You should get used to supplying that information in your signature as a default or supply it if asking about another .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
I have not found a red marking on them before. More likely it is a paint left over from a previous rebuild or the like. What car, engine , time frame are you building the car to look like. I have heard about a clone Shelby and various other things. The calipers had a certain look depending upon when they were made and what kind of wheels were being used. That is why the info is relevant. You should get used to supplying that information in your signature as a default or supply it if asking about another .

I thought my signature block was visible to everyone. It shows the partial vin and build date. Is it not visible?
I have a 6T09K13. I want it to be almost as good as when it rolled off the factory on 23 Oct 65, except, it will have a gt-350 paint job, tachometer and GT6 10-spoke wheels. Here is a picture of the kar before restoration. The kar was beautiful on the outside and inside but the underside had been mostly neglected. Some pics attached. Therefore I am making it as perfect as I can make it with the help of gentlemen like yourself. But I'm a guy that really wants a Shelby GT350 but can only afford a k'code budget.

So with these particular calipers, could you tell which wheels my kar would have came with? I thought another post eluded to that presumption. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:13:51 PM by evantugby »

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline evantugby

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 02:23:09 PM »
Can anyone identify the discrepancies noted in original post? Also, can anyone direct me to instructions on how to rebuild these calipers?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
I thought my signature block was visible to everyone. It shows the partial vin and build date. Is it not visible?
I have a 6T09K13. I want it to be almost as good as when it rolled off the factory on 23 Oct 65, except, it will have a gt-350 paint job, tachometer and GT6 10-spoke wheels. Here is a picture of the kar before restoration. The kar was beautiful on the outside and inside but the underside had been mostly neglected. Some pics attached. Therefore I am making it as perfect as I can make it with the help of gentlemen like yourself. But I'm a guy that really wants a Shelby GT350 but can only afford a k'code budget.

So with these particular calipers, could you tell which wheels my kar would have came with? I thought another post eluded to that presumption.
Letting the people commenting on your question requests know what you are doing is going to get you the best results. There are various differences between a 66 Mustang and a 66 GT350 for instance.You should consider amending your signature to reflect your intentions of making the car like a 66 GT350 . It is best to not assume everything is the same which is why the amend to signature suggestion for best results.   Without going into a lengthy evolution of the calipers the inside half was cast iron and the outside half was silver ether zinc plated or sometimes painted no smudge aluminum silver from the factory. Earlier versions would be different based on wheel options. The pad retainer plate was semi gloss black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »
Ok, decided to dive into it. I disassembled, wire wheeled, soaked in evaporust for 5 hrs, rinsed and dried. Here is a comparison picture. Notice both halves are the same cast iron. I guess that means I had a styled steel wheel and not a deluxe steel wheel, correct? 

Reference: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3875.msg21191#msg21191

Before I reassemble, please advise what protective coating these should have for my metuchen built 23 Oct 65 kar. 

Thank you! 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:16:04 PM »
what do you mean by "deluxe steel wheel"?
5F09C331248

Offline evantugby

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:27:49 PM »
I mean deluxe wheel. But after further evaluation it appears there is a difference in the two halves so what can we conclude about the wheels my kar came with?

I have read from a previous old post that Bob Gaines said "In 65 both half's were cast iron if on a steel wheel car and the outside half plated if a deluxe wheel car."

So is it safe to assume part of my caliper is plated and would have came with a deluxe wheel? 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:34:00 PM by evantugby »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:41:06 PM »
Have you found any date codes on the calipers? 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 11:48:54 PM »
I mean deluxe wheel. But after further evaluation it appears there is a difference in the two halves so what can we conclude about the wheels my kar came with?

I have read from a previous old post that Bob Gaines said "In 65 both half's were cast iron if on a steel wheel car and the outside half plated if a deluxe wheel car."

So is it safe to assume part of my caliper is plated and would have came with a deluxe wheel?
Early 65 you had calipers made ether with both sides cast iron (for steel wheel cars) and another style that was inner half cast iron and outer half silver for cars with deluxe wheels. I believe by later 65 production Ford had decided to make all of the calipers with the silver outer half regardless of what wheel. There were other internal changes (different boots) that evolved as production went on. In your case at the very least I believe the calipers have been rebuilt before. They may have even been exchanged with another pair given that has been a common auto part store practice to return a core when a rebuilt part was purchased.

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:08:17 PM »
I believe I found somewhere and I will have to try and locate it again that the 12 point bolts were used on 65-66 calipers and they switched to the hex head bolts in 67.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
Jim Cowles would know, he's rebuilt/restored a ton of these.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 12:39:04 PM »
I believe I found somewhere and I will have to try and locate it again that the 12 point bolts were used on 65-66 calipers and they switched to the hex head bolts in 67.

Later in 67, yes. Early were 12 points
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
Later in 67, yes. Early were 12 points
+1

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
Jim Cowles would know, he's rebuilt/restored a ton of these.
Jim knows the evolution of these calipers better then anyone I know. Among other things he has identified numerous different seals used during the evolution .