Author Topic: Motor Mounts for Metuchen 1966 Kar  (Read 891 times)

Offline evantugby

Motor Mounts for Metuchen 1966 Kar
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
Gents,
I'm redoing a number of components today so bare with me on the questions that will be coming in.

I'm looking at http://65kresto.blogspot.com/2010/ on date 8/9/10 where caspian65 shows how he finished his motor mounts for his 1965 car.  It shows the metal some sort of darker gray color. 

Question 1:  Would the motor mount metal brackets on a 1966 kar (built Metuchen 23 Oct 1965) been the same color or were they painted black? If they do get a certain color, what color is best to use? 

Question 2:  Looks like yellow slash on rubber insulator and also a blue dot each side for typical paint markings, correct? 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:19:16 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Motor Mounts for Metuchen 1966 Kar
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »
The K motor mounts like this were all finished the same.  Those I did in the pic referenced are plain steel that was tumbled.  The mounts were never painted black.  What you're seeing that looks dark is probably just the lighting of the pic. 

I've only seen yellow markings on the rubber insulators, haven't seen blue, not sure where you got that from my pic?  Those are NOS insulators.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
The K motor mounts like this were all finished the same.  Those I did in the pic referenced are plain steel that was tumbled.  The mounts were never painted black.  What you're seeing that looks dark is probably just the lighting of the pic. 

I've only seen yellow markings on the rubber insulators, haven't seen blue, not sure where you got that from my pic?  Those are NOS insulators.

In reference to my blue dot comment:  Tony Gregory's 4th edition HiPo 289 book mentions on page 164 that motor mounts (top half) received a blue dot each side, yellow slash on rubber insulator) for 1964.5/65).  I do know this book isn't 100% accurate but motor mounts have been documented on K-codes as having a blue dot on the motor mounts. 

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
.......... I do know this book isn't 100% accurate but motor mounts have been documented on K-codes as having a blue dot on the motor mounts.

I haven't seen or heard of any blue marks or what purpose they would have served. Yellow was used on many through the years IMHO to help them be visible to workers and help guide their eyes quickly to the motor mounts when guiding the engine into place on the line.

Since you state they have been documented - from what cars, time periods and plants have they been documented from?

Finish for yours and (per your example) 65 ones would be all the same. How to acchive this? Would check out some of the threads on metal treating and conditioning for clues
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:57:06 AM »
I haven't seen or heard of any blue marks or what purpose they would have served. Yellow was used on many through the years IMHO to help them be visible to workers and help guide their eyes quickly to the motor mounts when guiding the engine into place on the line.

Since you state they have been documented - from what cars, time periods and plants have they been documented from?

Finish for yours and (per your example) 65 ones would be all the same. How to acchive this? Would check out some of the threads on metal treating and conditioning for clues

Jeff,
Sorry, I should have said blue dots on motor mounts "must have been documented" if they made it into Tony Gregory's HiPo 289 book.    Where is this Tony Gregory anyway?  Let's ask him! ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:00:55 AM by evantugby »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Jeff,
Sorry, I should have said blue dots on motor mounts "must have been documented" if they made it into Tony Gregory's HiPo 289 book.    Where is this Tony Gregory anyway?  Let's ask him! ;)

Understand now.  Would not apply them or repeat that mark without more documentation. Stuff I offer here has at least three examples from the same time period or the exceptions/warning/comment is included in the posting.  Just the basic standard we set up as a baseline so that we do not offer what might be an unusual or out of the norm marking for others to apply.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)