Author Topic: 70 Dearborn pictures - Early Feb 70 build Mach I  (Read 3871 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
70 Dearborn pictures - Early Feb 70 build Mach I
« on: September 06, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
Thought I would post some pictures of fairly original cars to help others. We accept that every car will have some items that have been changed either due to maintenance or owners modifications. As always do your homework.

Car is an early Feb Dearborn Mach I (0F05R163xxx) with P/S & automatic

Hope these help.

Bottom of hood surface

Grill area. Notice short hood/radiator seal and retaining clips. Batch color on the shock tower supports and hood latch supports are noticeable in the photo.

Passenger side of engine forward

Overall engine shot from drivers side

Drivers side interior shot

Console - radio area

Taillight panel and rear valance

Trunk lid with prop rod and mount

Original trunk mat and full size underlayment. Also shows that the worker applying sound deadener in the quarter panels may have made an effort to stay away from the side marker hole. Notice the passenger side wheelwell luggauge protector strip - gray this time

Front passenger side frame rail showing body color and sound deadener. Also idler arm (PS mark) paint identification stripe

Drivers side front frame rail showing (from outside to in) pinch weld black-out, Mach I sound deadener and body color overspray on frame rail.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:19:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

Re: 70 Dearborn pictures - Early Feb 70 build Mach I
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »
Jeff - I am interested in the idler arm attaching bolts.  The '69 Assembly Manual says 428 cars should have them installed with the nuts on the outside due to "decking" clearance issues.  I don't recall seeing any like that, but this car has one of each!  Comment?
Jim
'66 GT FB, '69 CJ Grande

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
Jeff - I am interested in the idler arm attaching bolts.  The '69 Assembly Manual says 428 cars should have them installed with the nuts on the outside due to "decking" clearance issues.  I don't recall seeing any like that, but this car has one of each!  Comment?

Yes noticed the same in the pictures but they may be original (not the first time the assembly manuals were different than the production practices)

I'll find time and look through some other cars to see if I can find some more the same.

"Decking"  that's an interesting term .... hmm BTW is that from the 69 or 70 assembly manual?
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
Jeff - it is in the '69 Assembly Manual.  Could be in the '70 manual too but I don't have one to check.  I can see where the ends of the idler arm bolts could stick out far enough to foul the PS exhaust manifold on the way in, so it makes sense.

I always drop the idler to install the engine, but obviously they would not do that on the assembly line.
Jim
'66 GT FB, '69 CJ Grande

Offline mmv.mustangs

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »
Jeff, great pictures. However, I've noticed the attaching hardware on the hood hinges have small washers. This appears to be a questionable item. I've looked at many original cars and from different plants, and there is no rhyme or reason as to why some have standard washer bolts, and others have the larger washers. I'm a firm believer that there should never be a point deduction because ones car does not have the larger washers. Also please note Mustang Monthly, July 2009 issue, "Resto Roundup" Perkins has addressed this particular issue concerning bolts and the many variety. Great topic for the upcoming judges meeting.

Mark Vasquez

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:39:50 AM »
Jeff, great pictures. However, I've noticed the attaching hardware on the hood hinges have small washers. This appears to be a questionable item. I've looked at many original cars and from different plants, and there is no rhyme or reason as to why some have standard washer bolts, and others have the larger washers.....

Looking through the pictures I have I found that this may be a difference between 69 and 70/ And we know how many of us can blur details across years.

Just starting with the 70 Dearborn cars (since that is what was posted in the pictures above) I found very few of the ones I have had the large washers used with the hood bolts as you mention. I stopped counting (guess I could also go back and make a list of the VINs)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:32:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
Well that's strange, now the pics are not there.  I did see them.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
Well that's strange, now the pics are not there.  I did see them.

Me too. Last night there today - dead. Just more of the love PhotoBucket offers

Working on the cure
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »
Some additional pictures while I'm here

EXTERIOR

EXT1
Rear pinchweld black out - Drivers side rear quarter panel

EXT2Exhaust tip and back up light

EXT3 Taillight panel overlay and rear lettering

EXT4Side molding at front edge of rear wheelwell showing black out between the molding panels

EXT5 Side molding with door black out

EXT6 Front turn indicators up close

EXT7 And the back side and support brackets

EXT8

EXT9

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:31:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:30:51 PM »
UNDERCARRIAGE

U1 Wheel side of front fender splash shield (forward one) on drivers side

U2 Power steering and pittman arm

U3 Front strut bracket. Shows (this is a 1970 Dearborn) where the firewall area was shot in a batch paint/sealer. Also shows from paint markings for a 70 Mach I

Jeff Speegle

Offline JohnRB

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 06:12:23 PM »
Perfect