Author Topic: Drive shaft markings  (Read 2464 times)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
Drive shaft markings
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:47:20 PM »
Any one come across this before? white arrow in a grease pencil, about 1 ft long. Found it on a 67GT 500 and a 69 GT 500.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Drive shaft markings
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:33:09 AM »
Any one come across this before? white arrow in a grease pencil, about 1 ft long. Found it on a 67GT 500 and a 69 GT 500.

Have not identified any of the white "pencil" marks as arrows. Sometimes simply a line or on a couple of examples an "X" 

These are rare in my experience and the arrows may be some prior owners  or mechanics way of marking the driving for re installation after removing it for a repair (non- factory)  Same could be said for the X's I found.

Just another possibility IMHO ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:33:36 AM »
I just found it strange that it would be on two different drive shafts, both with very low mileage? I was thinking that it may be an aid as to what direction to read the strips from?, or not??

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »
I just found it strange that it would be on two different drive shafts, both with very low mileage? I was thinking that it may be an aid as to what direction to read the strips from?, or not??

Yes interesting. Sorry the arrow has not been found on more original examples. Will have to keep looking.

Unfortunately most are in very poor condition offering up so little clues to what they once looked like. Luckily that for later cars, we at least have colors on buildsheets to gall back on for the colors
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)