Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

front fender sound deadner

(1/4) > >>

aaatp:
Hey guys: I'm getting ready to spray sound deadner on the inside of my front fenders and the outside of the front fender aprons. It's been along time since I removed all of it (stupid me didn't take any pictures) and can't remember
what the coverage area should be. I've checked all my assembly manuals and can't seem to find anything diffinitive.
Were both the front and rear splash shields in place when this was done? I have a 1966 Dearborn convertible with a proposed build date of Feb. 18th 1966.

Any help would be appreciated.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: aaatp on February 21, 2011, 11:34:07 PM ---Hey guys: I'm getting ready to spray sound deadener on the inside of my front fenders and the outside of the front fender aprons. It's been along time since I removed all of it (stupid me didn't take any pictures) and can't remember
what the coverage area should be. I've checked all my assembly manuals and can't seem to find anything definitive.
--- End quote ---

The assembly manuals can be pretty vague in these details often showing nice, neat, straight edges and the like. 

--- Quote from: aaatp on February 21, 2011, 11:34:07 PM ---Were both the front and rear splash shields in place when this was done? I have a 1966 Dearborn convertible with a proposed build date of Feb. 18th 1966.

--- End quote ---

Yes the splash shields were in place as was just about everything else (fender, suspension, front spring cover...) when the sound deadener was applied

Patterns can vary depending on who applied the stuff and where they were standing at the moment. But i does appear that Dearborn was more consistent in their patterns than San Jose (for example)

Picture of the forward edge of the opening - splash shields and bottom side of fender shown also

Mid way back - showing the amount of texture and areas covered

Two examples (one each high lighted where the sound deadener was applied to show the pattern) It appears that in one case the worker stood to the front of the opening and one time from the rear (notice the pattern and shadow of spray on the spring cover)

Hope this helps (as always - everyone else please notice that your car may differ if assembled at a different plant or different time period ;)

aaatp:
Jeff: Thank you for the pictures and the explanation, I get it now. It appears then that the sound deadner was
applied last in this area, is that correct?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: aaatp on February 24, 2011, 07:04:53 PM ---Jeff: Thank you for the pictures and the explanation, I get it now. It appears then that the sound deadner was
applied last in this area, is that correct?

--- End quote ---

We understand that the car was pretty much finished but lacking front wheels and tires but everything else was in place. So if the pattern passes over bolt heads, mounting nuts, fuel lines, rubber grommets ...... we would expect to see sound deadener applied over them - though overtime it does not stick well to rubber items ;)

66RavenGTCoupeAgain:
Perfect Jeff,
Just what I was after. Would the application pattern be much different for a 10/20/64 SJ car?
Just a side question: Did convertibles have the sound deadener on the inner rear side panels in the trunk? My unrestored coupe has it applied but our somewhat unrestored convertible did not. Would it have made much of a difference given that the soft top did not offer much in the way of acoustic resistance so maybe they didn't bother? Also, was the deadener in the area where the rear quarter windows wind down into done at the same time as the rear wheel arches?

Thanks,
Daniel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version