Author Topic: '69 versus '65-68 Quarter Courtesy Lights (Fastback Only)?  (Read 5097 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 versus '65-68 Quarter Courtesy Lights (Fastback Only)?
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
I recently ordered an interior kit for my '69 Mach project.  Everything came in the mail the other day, and I finally got a few minutes to open the gigantic box and inspect everything.  The vendor sent Scott Drake brand interior courtesy lights for a '65-68 Mustang.  These are the lights that would snap into the fiberglass interior panels by the rear seat on a '65-68, and the mount in the headliner sail panel on a '69.

What's the difference between these '65-68 lights versus the ones that originally came on my '69?  My car was disassembled when I got it, so I don't have anything original to compare to.  Is there any reason why I can't use these lights in my '69, or will I have to hunt down original lights?

Thanks!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: '69 versus '65-68 Quarter Courtesy Lights (Fastback Only)?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
Anyone?  Bueller.......Bueller?

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:24:56 PM »
They are the same lamps 65-69, Ford part number C4SZ-13776-B

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:32:07 PM »
Great!  Thank you!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
There were some made for like 80's T-birds that look similar, but are made of plastic and have the vacuum chrome plating.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »
I recently ordered an interior kit for my '69 Mach project.  Everything came in the mail the other day, and I finally got a few minutes to open the gigantic box and inspect everything.  The vendor sent Scott Drake brand interior courtesy lights for a '65-68 Mustang.  These are the lights that would snap into the fiberglass interior panels by the rear seat on a '65-68, and the mount in the headliner sail panel on a '69.

What's the difference between these '65-68 lights versus the ones that originally came on my '69?  My car was disassembled when I got it, so I don't have anything original to compare to.  Is there any reason why I can't use these lights in my '69, or will I have to hunt down original lights?

Thanks!

Scott Drake does make two different lights-one for the 65-68 and one for the 69-70.  They have different brackets on the back where the bulb socket fits.  Also the 65-68 one has two separate wire connectors (one male/one female), and the 69-70 unit has a single two way molded plug.  From the outside and once installed, they look identical.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-68-FASTBACK-REAR-INTERIOR-LIGHT-ASSEMBLY-P2800.aspx

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/69-70-FASTBACK-INTERIOR-QUARTER-LIGHT-ASSEMBLY-P2801.aspx

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
I have noticed that some of the older C4SZ-13776-B Ford units had pot metal bezel housings and the newer ones were plastic plastic housings. Bob
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:49:05 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »
I have noticed that some of the older C4SZ-13776-B Ford units had pot metal bezel housings and the newer ones were plastic plastic housings. Bob

Yes, definitely, the older ones were chrome pot metal.  Some later Ford replacements were the plastic style and IIRC, used in some 80's/90's cars.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
Seeing you didn't take apart yourself.....you need the retaining trim (chrome) that finishes the hole in the sail panel (to get the lights to mount) !

Hopefully you have your old panels or have kept these parts as they don't come with NOS serivce or repro lights.
You will also find you have to "work" them into a new panel as they were probably stamped on by machine (taking off gets them all bent up)

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »
Seeing you didn't take apart yourself.....you need the retaining trim (chrome) that finishes the hole in the sail panel (to get the lights to mount) !

Hopefully you have your old panels or have kept these parts as they don't come with NOS serivce or repro lights.
You will also find you have to "work" them into a new panel as they were probably stamped on by machine (taking off gets them all bent up)

Mark

There was no headliner or sail panels whatsoever in the car when I got it.  Does anyone know where I could get a set of these trim rings, or even find a picture of them?  What would they even be called?  Were they exclusive to '69-70s?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »
There was no headliner or sail panels whatsoever in the car when I got it.  Does anyone know where I could get a set of these trim rings, or even find a picture of them?  What would they even be called?  Were they exclusive to '69-70s?

Might have been used on the late 80's T-birds and Cougars (one of the other applications for the plastic style)  but do not recall for sure
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)