Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

289 Cobra engine number

(1/4) > >>

DJames:
This is a Cobra question, so, I hope that's ok. If not, sorry about that. Where, if anywhere, is the engine number stamped on a 289 Cobra? There are two of them that have been coming in where I work which have every indication of being very original, unmolested cars. All of the date codes and casting numbers are perfectly consistant with what one would expect to see on cars with the production dates that these have. There's an engine number on one of the tags, and, I was wondering where that number would have been stamped. If at all, that is. Thanks. 

J_Speegle:
By "engine number" are you asking if it got a VIN number stamped on the block like the Shelby's or something else?

Going out on a limp (not a Cobra guy - one will be along any moment ;) but since the VIN's were applied at the Ford factory I'm not sure how these cars would have received one  during 64-67 period

DJames:
Here is a picture of the tags on one of the cars. All 289 Cobras had these. Since Ford could not possibly have known which cars the motors were going into, and A/C was just sending chassis, it would have had to have been Shelby that stamped the number brfore the motors went into the cars. And, there is always the possibility that he just blew it off, but, that doesn't really sound like something that a person trying to establish a name as a manufacturer, rather than just another hot rod shop, would do. Thanks.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: DJames on November 12, 2009, 10:41:16 AM ---Here is a picture of the tags on one of the cars. All 289 Cobras had these. Since Ford could not possibly have known which cars the motors were going into, and A/C was just sending chassis, it would have had to have been Shelby that stamped the number brfore the motors went into the cars. And, there is always the possibility that he just blew it off, but, that doesn't really sound like something that a person trying to establish a name as a manufacturer, rather than just another hot rod shop, would do. Thanks.

--- End quote ---
It was somewhat common for competition Cobras to not have the Shelby footbox tag.It is extremely hard to verify some of this info because Cobras frequently were modified from original in some aspect. If one part was modified it becomes difficult to verify for certain if another aspect of the car is modified also.  I had to verify my answer with my friend and Cobra Master Dan Case. The short answer to your question is most HP289 MKII Cobras (including works and AC Cars racers) got engines pulled out of standard HP289 Fairlane production so they had stamped engine block (not engine) serial numbers on the left side and hand painted on the back of the block just like all HP289 Fairlanes (and Comets). Stamping split between left front and left rear block tooling pads.These numbers that were already stamped into the block was what was stamped onto the Shelby footbox tag. 
 Approximately 30 cars finished after August 1964 got odd off specification built just for Shelby five bolt engines with Shelby engine assembly numbers stamped into the block by Shelby personal in left rear of engine block on tooling pad.This number was then stamped onto the Shelby footbox tag. I hope this helps. Bob

DJames:
Thanks.That helps a lot. That would also account for the way that the other car, CSX2507, had a slightly different type of number. It started with a PB, it seems. Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version