Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Misc Items

Can you Restore a starter solenoid

(1/3) > >>

68 S Code:
Came across an NOS starter solenoid but it's for a 72 because of the D2 number. Then I look at my C7 original and hate the way it looks. The original works fine but the top plate is rusty and pitted and the bottom plate also has surface rust. Is it possible to take the top plate off and get it replated? The studs will be difficult to get the nice copper color. The nuts could get re-plated. Is it worth the time and expense? The rivets look impossible to replicate.

CharlesTurner:
AMK used to rebuild/restore original solenoids, but have not offered the service for many years.  So, yes, it is possible, but may be very challenging to get done properly. 

sah62:
Here's another possibility:

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php/topic,11043.0.html

Bossbill:
After reading the latest Judging post I guess I'll punt to the judges here.

The solenoid issue was addressed a bit in the referenced post, but now I'm more confused than enlightened. For instance, I have two C7 solenoids -- one a little better than the other, but both serviceable with a little cleanup.
Original solenoids have a slight curve to the top bracket, whereas the repops I've seen offer a straight cut. Just like an incorrect engineering number, this really jumps out at me and probably the judges.

Do I continue to clean this one up (Note arrow pointing to original solenoid curve):

Or buy this incorrect (to me) repop with a straight cut and no curve?
[Note: Trying to obey copyright by linking to the owner's site (CJ Pony Parts) and not copying]

Or am I just not looking hard enough and there is another (more expensive, probably) option?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: sah62 on September 23, 2011, 07:06:46 AM ---Here's another possibility:

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php/topic,11043.0.html

--- End quote ---

Scott link didn't work and not sure what page your referring to or I would fix it for you  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version