Author Topic: 65 Fuel Canister Color  (Read 5774 times)

Offline dlsimon212

65 Fuel Canister Color
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:46:47 AM »
I was wondering what the fuel canister finish was on the 65 coupe (c code). I found someone with a NOS canister #C3AZ 9355A,,, kind of a goldish color with a see-through sticker with red lettering & says Motorcraft,, along with other info. I was wondering if this was correct.  There's sooo many different items out there, it's hard to know what's correct,,, I see that Drake makes a real nice White w/red lettering canister that looks super nice, but,,, even though my car will Never be correct like all of yours,, I'd still like to do what I can. Thanks for your help.

Doug S.
Soon to be a stang restorer(I hope)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 Fuel Canister Color
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:08:25 AM »
the canister should be white. the bottom of the can has double ribs. the lettering is red. originally it was stenciled on but the red decals are acceptable in judging. you are correct about the variations out there, many of them advertised as correct when in fact they are not.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:38:23 PM »
Would not expect that decals will be ok from here on for MCA concours and I would hope judges are deducting a small amount for these since they are not original. Many of us have deducted for other decals  (coils and voltage regulator for example) for years and part of the instruction at this years Judge's Meeting and the following instruction at this year's shows will reinforce this

Of course not deducting for this detail is unfair IMHO to those that took the effort to do it right, lowers the standard and provides no motivation for people trying to make high quality reproductions

Know we deduct for them on 65 Shelbys
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline YELLOWBOSS2

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
Does anyone know where a stencil can be obtained and how much they are?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:58:03 PM »
there was a fellow over on hipomustang.com that was making them. don't recall the name ofhand but a search there should turn it up.
5F09C331248

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »
Here's the link to the thread on the HiPo site, I've seen a few on ebay as well........

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9500

Offline YELLOWBOSS2

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the lead on the stencil.

Dave

Offline dlsimon212

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 01:30:57 AM »
This is what's so confusing,, you tell me that the canister should be white w/red lettering,,, but yet then, when I checking out CJ Pony Parts,, the only canister they offer is "1964-1965 RED FUEL FILTER CANISTER,,, Concourse correct, and quality reproduction with silk-screened logo and authentic markings". Did the red canister possibly come out on 6 cylinder engines?  I've now seen Gold ones, Red ones, and White ones, and $40 throw-away stencils for the do-it-yourselfers,,, Sure wish someone with a clue, would actually produce a book, that actually had the correct info in it, and not a bunch of worthless nonsense,, like all of those numbers that are meaningless to everyone who doesn't own an original Ford Microfiche setup. Maybe someday,, it sounds like a few of you guys could do that.

Thanks, Doug

Offline dlsimon212

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 01:42:06 AM »
I just checked the Laurel Mountain & Superior Mustang websites out,,, they too offer the red canister w/white lettering. Superior also offers the gold canister w/red lettering(sticker?).  It kind of doesn't make much sense for all of these places to offer an incorrect canister for us now does it? So,, is Scott Drake correct,, or a sleep at the wheel? Most of his items look awesome, but why buy them if they're incorrect?

Thanks, Doug

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
The correct fuel filter canister for your car would be painted white with a red stencil.  All others are simply "replacements." 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 01:49:29 AM »
..............So,, is Scott Drake correct,, or a sleep at the wheel? Most of his items look awesome, but why buy them if they're incorrect?

IF you understand how many of the places developed their reproductions you would understand why many of the parts are not exactly correct. Many have used NOS parts that they picked up over the years to pattern their reproduction parts after. This did not seem an issue ten years ago but more recently more focus on details have proven that many of the service replacement parts (read NOS)  were different from the originals.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dlsimon212

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 01:54:14 AM »
You guys are Awesome,, I'm tellin ya,, you 2 should write the Real Mustang How-To Book! I'll buy one!

Thanks Guys,
Doug

Offline dlsimon212

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 02:53:13 AM »
I just sent Scott Drake Ent. an email asking them if there would be a chance in the near future for a White canister w/red lettering,, especially since they're already making them with the proper two colors, but just in the reverse order. Seems simple enough,, but we all know how life actually works. It'll be real interesting if I hear back from them.

Ya know,,, some times companies don't know there's a need for something, unless several people inform them that there's a need. Just a thought.

Their Email is: info@scottdrake.net

Doug S.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »
I just sent Scott Drake Ent. an email asking them if there would be a chance in the near future for a White canister w/red lettering,, especially since they're already making them with the proper two colors, but just in the reverse order. Seems simple enough,, but we all know how life actually works. It'll be real interesting if I hear back from them.

Ya know,,, some times companies don't know there's a need for something, unless several people inform them that there's a need. Just a thought.

Their Email is: info@scottdrake.net

Doug S.
Doug,
Drake does not actually have this part made.  It comes from another supplier.  I have spoken to the supplier about it, but they seem to have no interest in having the part made again for some reason.  I have also spoken to Drake about making it, but there are no immediate plans.  Maybe it is something that will be done in the future.  If I find out something, I'll post it here.

Offline dlsimon212

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »
That's what I hear,, I actually got a response from Drake today

"Doug, we do not make the canisters ourselves. I just tried to call the Small Vendor but no answer or machine? I believe this is the story I was told a year or so ago was something like this. The tooling for the Canister was lost or destroyed. When Vendor originally produced He ran equal numbers of both Red and White. Since White sold 10 to 1 over Red, there are still Reds available at this time. Sorry we have no plans of making ourselves."
Thanks Paul

I always appreciate it when people respond,, even if it's Not what I want to hear.  Well maybe someone will make them in the future.

Thanks everyone for the help,,, now all I have to do is figure out what Brand/Style of fuel pump I need.

Doug