Author Topic: 1965 Fold-down Seat Rattle  (Read 1766 times)

Offline kowalski

1965 Fold-down Seat Rattle
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:21:54 AM »
Hey all,
Have done a search but no luck.
The fold down seat in my 65 fastback has been rattling for about 15 years and still drives me nuts!
Most of the time I drive around with the seat folded down but really annoys me when it's up.
Can one of the experts please tell me the secret to a non-rattling reat seat, without any extra brackets etc?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1965 Fold-down Seat Rattle
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »
If its the seat (lots of things to rattle back there in a fastback) then adjusting some pressure between the rear bumpers and the latch may reduce the rattling of the seat back

Give it a shot
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
Take everything out - rear deck panel, lower seat pad, folding section - and make sure what's left is tight - side panels, RH latch, curved sections, vents, etc. Move everything, push and pull. Drive the car. Reassemble (the fun part). When you get to the rear deck panel, the metal retainer brackets go under the welded in brackets and the retaining screws (also used for the bumpers on the curved section) go thru the holes in the welded bracket into the retainers. Remember that there are rubber bumpers on the sides of the folding sections too.
That's it. Plan B is to sell the car. 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline kowalski

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Plan B sounds a bit extreme though Jim......

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:08:01 AM »
I had an annoying rattle on my 67 FB and I found out that it was due to worn pegs in the fold-down seat latches. I placed small strips of cardboard inside the latch to stop the peg from moving around and that cured the noise. Eventually, though I replaced the old pegs with new ones as that was a better long-term solution.
Regards,
Brad.