Author Topic: 65 Heater Motor  (Read 8064 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 Heater Motor
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:27 AM »
Never seen friction tape used. One of the current beliefs is that the tape held the short wires to the motor as it was inserted through the hole in the firewall
I found friction tape on the blower motor on a San Jose build May 67 Fastback. The car was found in a field in West Oakland and restored to daily driver standards. I used 2 inch wide cut to 1 inch 50 plus year old friction tape I got from my father's junk that was used by the US Navy at NAS Moffett. It passed Jeff's inspection in the last MCA event at Concord.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »
Doesn't make sense to me to hold the wires in place while inserting the motor housing through the firewall, as the wires exit the end of the motor housing.  With the wires taped to the sides, either the plugs themselves were taped, in which case the wires could catch on the housing, or if only the wires were taped, the bullet plugs would catch on the housing.  IIRC, it's a fairly tight fit through the firewall hole.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »
I also don't believe the tape was to hold the wires.  If that was the case, we'd have seen at least some early service replacements with the wires held to the tape and some ripped tape on original cars.  I believe the tape is there to help keep moisture out of the motor.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »
I never considered the tape to be a wire installation aid. I assumed it was as Charles stated, a moisture barrier, a flimisy moisture barrier. Keep this in mind when you look at a 60's vintage car - the mentality of the auto manufacturers then was a two year turn, everybody buying a new car every two years, ergo, cars were designed to last a short period of time, and the parts and materials used reflected that. Reliability was not a selling point.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
I got the tape from Jack and have a question. How many laps around the motor should i mount the tape?
Somebody suggested 2-3 laps but is that correct, or should it be one lap?
Texas Swede

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
I got the tape from Jack and have a question. How many laps around the motor should i mount the tape?
Somebody suggested 2-3 laps but is that correct, or should it be one lap?
Texas Swede

Normally see about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 laps around.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »
Thanks Charles,
Texas Swede

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
Put the tape from DeadNutsOn on my heater motor. Was very tricky when the motor is in the car
but finally I was able to get it there and it looks real good. Thanks for all the help I got.
You guys are the best.
Texas Swede

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
Great info here. So am I right in saying that the tape is 1" wide? Was it painted or left natural?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:37 PM »
On something like a concours car, I have spray painted 1" wide masking tape and wrapped it around the motor.  For the T-bred stuff, I would use an NOS motor like in the picture above that has the original tape.

Semi-gloss or satin black spray paint, nothing fancy.  Few light coats just to cover.  The stuff Jack sells looks nice though.

Mid: I suppose it was just a little something extra to keep moisture from getting inside the motor.  The motor housing separates at that joint.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 06:22:41 PM »
Thanks! ;D
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
I've found black masking tape, 1" wide.  Easier than having to paint regular masking tape.

Some of the NOS heater fans have a grayish look to the tape, but this varies.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
Some of the NOS heater fans have a grayish look to the tape, but this varies.

May just be age or long term reaction between different underlying products (metal verses the tape)

Have notice it too on ones stored away in boxes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)