Author Topic: 65 Heater Motor  (Read 8078 times)

Offline Texas Swede

65 Heater Motor
« on: January 09, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
My 65 GT350 was manufactured at San Jose on 5-7 of May 1965 and I have a question about the
heater motor. Should there by some kind of isolation tape around the middle of the motor case?
If so, does anybody know how wide it should be? The motor has one yellow and one brown wire.
Thanks,
Texas Swede

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: 65 Heater Motor
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »
Bo,

All the ones I have seen have this tape.  I think that black masking type of tape works well.  I'll have to get the width for you.  I can't remember exactly.

Here are pictures of originals.  First is an early motor (NOS, but looks like the assembly line ones I have observed) and then a later motor in a very original car (sorry the picture is not better.)

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
Thanks Brant,
Looking forward to the width of the tape,
Texas Swede

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Thanks John,
I will order the tape from deadnutson.
Texas Swede

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »
Thanks Brant,
Looking forward to the width of the tape,
Texas Swede
The tape is one inch wide and a dark tan in color. Regular masking tape is too light in shade, what you are looking for is closer to brown paper bag (brown paper bag with contact cement?).
Slightly off topic, the tape used on a San Jose 67 (May 67 build) was one inch friction tape.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:23:45 AM »
Thanks Jim,
I ordered the tape from deadnutson and they say their tape is black. Can it be the tape loses it's
luster over the years? Much like myself.
Texas Swede

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »
The original tape I've been seeing doesn't have a brown appearance, it's more of a blotchy dark to medium gray.  The tape on driven cars will lighten with age though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
The guy I bought my San Jose build 65 GT Fastback from pressure washed the engine compartment prior to my buying the car. He didn't do that good a job. I remember that there was a small piece of what looked like masking tape attached to the bottom left of the blower that I knocked off when I replaced the heater core. That was 19 years ago. I have a "Dec 2 1965" dated motor sitting on my desk as I type. You can see the remnants of something in one spot about three inches long. It is 15/16inch wide. I just removed a painted over 1/4 inch chunk. Whatever material it is, the color against the motor housing is light brown (almost rust?).
So, by the process of elimination, it is not plastic tape, it is not duct tape, it is not friction tape and it don't stick well. Using a bit of logic, as the tape deterioriates over time and appears to have allowed moisture thru to the housing, it is most likely paper based. Masking tape has that type of property so as a replacment material, masking tape. Charles say grey or dark blotch. So the question remaining is - where do you get it?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
On something like a concours car, I have spray painted 1" wide masking tape and wrapped it around the motor.  For the T-bred stuff, I would use an NOS motor like in the picture above that has the original tape.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
On something like a concours car, I have spray painted 1" wide masking tape and wrapped it around the motor.  ...............

+1 Always found that this reproduces the look and texture of the original for any year classic Mustang
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
On something like a concours car, I have spray painted 1" wide masking tape and wrapped it around the motor.  For the T-bred stuff, I would use an NOS motor like in the picture above that has the original tape.

Charles, what do you spray it with?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
Just curious...what is the purpose of this "friction tape" over the motor housing?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
Just curious...what is the purpose of this "friction tape" over the motor housing?

Never seen friction tape used. One of the current beliefs is that the tape held the short wires to the motor as it was inserted through the hole in the firewall
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »
Charles, what do you spray it with?

Semi-gloss or satin black spray paint, nothing fancy.  Few light coats just to cover.  The stuff Jack sells looks nice though.

Mid: I suppose it was just a little something extra to keep moisture from getting inside the motor.  The motor housing separates at that joint.