Author Topic: 1969 Rear drum blackout  (Read 15945 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Rear drum blackout
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 01:12:10 AM »
What was the purpose of machining the edge after the blackout application ...........

Never seen the black out get anywhere near the machined surfaces (only to the face and very sloppy )

.........and what was the function of the groove?

Don't know and I'm not an engineer ;)    I normally don't talk to workers that made those choices
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »
On the Dearborn cars I worked on I have seen KH on 1 side & bendix on other & hardware different on brake cylinders between the 2 with flat bolts on 1 & sunken head bolts on the other & both have different ink stamps date type marks & both types rubber adjusting plugs. I see more drums without extra hole type than other version on Dearborn cars.  Also later they started stamping date on bottom outside backing plates in the metal.
Current car I am working on, 9F03R48   1880, is exactly like that. I think the recessed wheel cyl head and 8Axxxx plug are on the bendix side. Both brake drums are identical as far as no machine marks
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Online TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »

Don't know and I'm not an engineer ;)    I normally don't talk to workers that made those choices
I would think it was to allow the drum to cool more evenly so as to control warpage
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »
I'm working on my rear end right now. My drums appear to be original to the car. They are date coded 9C21 and 9C26 with the car being built 5/12/69 at San Jose.

The blackout is applied to the face of the drum with a maximum of about a half inch over the edges. Obviously brush painted. The blackout appears to have been done on mine prior to the green clips being put on.
There is also no machined lip.
MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 02:48:37 AM »
Pictures?  If its still the original black out that you can see on there would be a nice reference as everything I have the black out is long gone now.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 12:50:53 PM »
Pictures?  If its still the original black out that you can see on there would be a nice reference as everything I have the black out is long gone now.

I'll get some pics as soon as my camera charges up.

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Here are some pics.

Looking at the direction the runs are traveling it would appear that they were painted with the balance weights mostly[nb]one drum looks as if it may have been turned while being painted[/nb] at the 12 o'clock position. May be coincidental. The paint is cracked and checked where it was pooled and in the runs. Leads me to believe the paint used was lacquer.

The drums have FOMOCO B64 and date code cast into them. Car has Kelsey Hayes backing plates.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:13:39 PM by Sluggo »

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
Good pictures....nice. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:28:27 AM by azscj »
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:15 AM »
After getting the drums back from walnut blasting, they do in fact have lightly machined edges. They did not bother to machine out all the low spots in the cast however.

priceless

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »
ASSET90 Says rear drums. Was this procedure only on the rear drums of styled steel wheels or front and rear drums. As my 69 has front drums also. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
ASSET90 Says rear drums. Was this procedure only on the rear drums of styled steel wheels or front and rear drums. As my 69 has front drums also. Thanks

Front and rear - there has been some discussion of the possibility of rotors also in 69 but looking for more evidence
Jeff Speegle

Offline tobkob

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »
Jeff, I was reading this post and you said you wanted more evidence of blackout on front rotors. Here are some pictures of original rotors on number 2060.
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 11:56:07 PM »
I haven't come across the blackout on the rotors but have come across about 8 or nine times now of black out on the calipers. A friend pointed it out and once I started looking for it I started to find it. Not a self fulfilling prophecy Jeff ;D . I grab these pics because they were handy but have some that can be seen through the spokes of the wheels somewhere too 69/70 Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
My S code GT/CS came from the factory with front disc brakes and painted style steel wheels.  I am always trying to improve the restoration to make it absolute Concours.  With all said above, it appears I need to slab black paint on the front rotor hub and brake calipers.  I painted the rear drums with a rattle can, but to be correct, it also appears I need to strip the paint and just slab black paint on them as well, but just the outer facing surface.   Is this correct?  It has never come up when having the car judged at MCA shows.  I show this car in the Concours Trailered Division.

Also, I noticed in all the pictures posted above, I did not see any blue paint on the rear axle hubs.  I believe I brought this up in another post.  Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I remember in the late 60s, early 70s, seeing Ford cars with blue paint on the rear axle hubs.  (I spent a lot of time at a cousin’s auto shop).  I found blue paint in the hubs when restoring my rear axles and duplicated this.   Anyone else find this on un-restored rear axles?  I added a couple of pictures before and after below.

Thanks. Mike
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »
My S code GT/CS came from the factory with front disc brakes and painted style steel wheels.  I am always trying to improve the restoration to make it absolute Concours.  With all said above, it appears I need to slab black paint on the front rotor hub and brake calipers.  I painted the rear drums with a rattle can, but to be correct, it also appears I need to strip the paint and just slab black paint on them as well, but just the outer facing surface.   Is this correct?  It has never come up when having the car judged at MCA shows.  I show this car in the Concours Trailered Division.

The discussion of the black out here as been for 69 (especially Dearborn cars) not sure if it applies to your car.

Not the easiest thing for judges to see at a show but yous should be cast iron color with the brighter machined surfaces and add some more body color to those rear wheelwells and frame rail to cover at least the sound deadener that you painted (red Oxide) over in the picture ;)

As far as the blue on the axle again believe that is not a 69 thing but a 68 thing on only certain rear ends - likely identified one length - one spline

Believe the coupe (long ago ) that was sitting on the trailer in your driveway (J code no GT) had it. Believe I've got one on a 68 NJ built car but can be certain the marks are related
Jeff Speegle