Author Topic: Source for 66 Mustang Console Metal Woodgrain  (Read 5990 times)

Offline MyRed66GT

Source for 66 Mustang Console Metal Woodgrain
« on: December 26, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Does anyone have a source for the metal woodgrain on a 66 short console? I'm restoring mine and really don't want to waste my time with the cheap vinyl decals. Thanks! ;D

Offline Scott302

Re: Source for 66 Mustang Console Metal Woodgrain
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
The manufacturer discontinued the metal backed woodgrain kit many years ago.  Been so long I can't remember the reason but unless someone is sitting on one they are not regularly available.
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline aaatp

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Try this web site.  //tonysautoclassics.com.tripod.com/index.html  Go to woodgrain in index on
left hand side of the page. They advertise aluminum backed woodgrain.

Hope this helps: John

ps there is no WWW in the web adress

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
Being unable to locate a metal backed woodgrain covering, along with the "RePops" brand always coming loose from the camera case finish on the console metal plate, I have used aluminum roofing flashing for a metal underlayment, and it has worked out well.  The flashing is available in widths of 12 inches or so and many building supply places will cut a small length for you.  A buddy in the roofing trade will probably give you enough to do your console.  It can be cut with scissors (just do not let your wife catch you using her good scissors) and provides the reproduction woodgrain with a surface that sticks to  the woodgrain, and takes the lumps out of your job.  When you apply the woodgrain to the aluminum 3M adhesive is used to stick the whole works to the console.  It is important that you cut the aluminum to fit the console FIRST since the original and the reproduction metal console plates are slightly different in size.  When you have the aluminum flashing cut perfectly to your console. stick on the woodgrain and trim the tiny bit that sticks over the edges.  This may not be what you wanted to know, but it is one way to address the problem of the thin woodgrain reproductions and has worked for me on several  cars.  Hope this method will get you fixed up
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
Murf- I actually thought of doing what you describe as I do roofing work on the side. I have plenty of trim I can use for that. aaatp-I will also check out tonysautoclassics website you mentioned. Thanks much everyone!