Author Topic: Looking for someone that can replace a tie rod boot  (Read 223 times)

Offline Beeler422

Looking for someone that can replace a tie rod boot
« on: February 26, 2024, 08:57:31 AM »
I've got an original tie rod and the boot has a hole in it.  Where can I send it to get a new boot installed?  Thanks.

Offline dkknab

Re: Looking for someone that can replace a tie rod boot
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:11:07 AM »
I've got an original tie rod and the boot has a hole in it.  Where can I send it to get a new boot installed?  Thanks.

You can very easily do this yourself. I did mine.   I got the boots from npd. You can get them off using a brass punch (I'm not sure that's the proper name for the tool) and gently pushing the old boot off. The new one can be pressed on using a big socket or the same punch.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Beeler422

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 10:07:04 AM »
Ah OK.  Thanks for that.  I just thought you needed a special press or equipment to do it.  I'll look a little closer at it.  If anyone has any pics that would be helpful!

Offline dkknab

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 12:06:33 PM »
Ah OK.  Thanks for that.  I just thought you needed a special press or equipment to do it.  I'll look a little closer at it.  If anyone has any pics that would be helpful!

If you do a search on the forum I'm confident you'll find many threads about this. Here is one I've contributed to with some pictures.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=26547
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662