Author Topic: firewall sealer  (Read 4890 times)

Offline mach1one

firewall sealer
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
what was the factory method of firewall sealer at dearborn for a 428cj BD 3/69 with the heater mtor gaurd. My understanding was that all openings in the firwall had random sealer shot around any openings or passages thru the firewall. my main question is wether the sealer was shot around the heater motor with or without the motor gaurd in place? Any good pics Thanks Lu

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: firewall sealer
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »
The motor guard/shield would have been in place when the sealer was applied IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »
My 3/69 San Jose car has evidence that Jeff is correct.  I think this picture shows where the heater motor guard was in place before the sound deadener was applied.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline mach1one

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
seems it would defeat the purpose of the sealer

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
seems it would defeat the purpose of the sealer

Agreed that unless the sealer was applied heavy the stuff would not get under the mounting points well enough to cover the nuts below and prevent a leak if the guard was removed after installation and before the car was shipped as originally planned by Ford. 

But since they didn't remove them, as planned, generally I guess it all worked out somewhat.

Plenty of stuff does not seem to make sense looking back but guess that is the way it often is in life ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline mach1one

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »
what are restorers using for firewall sealer?

Offline thefordshow

• fordcountry@bell.net
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »
I use the 3M sprayable rubberized undercoat in the rattle can, but change up the tip/nozzle to the one used for white grease or brake clean. It has the straw or little plastic pipe. Control in smaller area is alot better.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Most use the 3M product as mentioned - guess it's ok and acceptable at this point. Originally it appears that an adhesive was used. Depending on where you lived it took on different tones based on the region. Out in the southwest it often quickly looked brown from all the dust that it trapped. The original stuff often has those small "squiggly hairs" going everywhere like you get when spray adhesive is applied lightly. OF course like everything dealing with coatings we see examples of a little or allot ;)

I think next time I might try a 3M spray adhesive nozzle on the 3M Undercoat and see how it goes
Jeff Speegle

Offline mach1one

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 01:54:58 AM »
was grey strip sealer used around the heater hoses? any photos?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
was grey strip sealer used around the heater hoses? any photos?
I have observed the strip caulk like material used in that location, from a little to a lot. It isn't on every example I have seen though? I believe the intent is to fill any void that the thinner sounddeadner/sealer would not be able to cover . The strip caulk like material was almost always covered on top with the sealer. This usage of the extra material is also covered in the engineering drawings of various years in the assembly manuals.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby