Author Topic: Autolite 4300 Carburetor C9ZF-F  (Read 171 times)

Offline QKSLVER

Autolite 4300 Carburetor C9ZF-F
« on: April 24, 2024, 10:03:12 AM »
I am looking for a restored Autolite 4300 carburetor, C9ZF-F, for a 1969 Mustang 390 Mach 1 with an automatic transmission.  Given the fact these aren't as popular as the Holley counterparts, does anyone have a recommendation on the best place to find one?  Most of the vendors I see selling restored carburetors only seem to carry the Holley.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.
1969 Mustang Mach 1 w/390
1984 Saleen Mustang Clone
2006 Shelby GT350 Concept Vehicle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Autolite 4300 Carburetor C9ZF-F
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 12:18:56 PM »
I am looking for a restored Autolite 4300 carburetor, C9ZF-F, for a 1969 Mustang 390 Mach 1 with an automatic transmission.  Given the fact these aren't as popular as the Holley counterparts, does anyone have a recommendation on the best place to find one?  Most of the vendors I see selling restored carburetors only seem to carry the Holley.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Of course you can wait around and hope a restored one shows up. Since that carb is not in high demand most that restore and sell will not put the time and money into it to sit on a shelf. Your best chance is to find one used and have it restored. best of luck on your search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 06:56:08 PM »

Here's one: [size=78%]https://www.ebay.com/itm/155746695682?itmmeta=01HW91JHRQT7D3TEJD3CGPV5YE&hash=item244339fa02:g:7DUAAOSwXN5e6VU7&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8PYTR7lVD7j9F4dlKHwdlxwrBxF%2FxXSwukdOixp5vn%2Bypo2FTp2NIfcQFYi2ijuCMJVc9yd8dbghTBGjiUxbh9%2B76NHbb6et%2BN8MvSRvLRrT3L5Mv%2B0S72y0RnzHwGQImngpoKO9Ja8CJMZUAuzxCy2KcGWAZUWMTuRlg2rY9wVojg8U1R5%2FLuRe%2FGPzCBU5EcXJGlT0xhwOXj%2BN1dSgEoiPSvCkdGpRnZa0wwNO4nQUfmv9l6aLJkSO2n%2FAgVonx8xaDf6GGMjGWkDjGozLoG0NwAIHOYhdh3E8%2FTB42Rifmv4MdXgjRfFdYThyKSATHw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMvJzKoeJj[/size]
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 07:29:09 PM »
For some reason carb rebuilders have a hard problem getting 4300's to run right. At least from mine and just about everyone I know experience. If anyone has FIRST hand experience with someone who can rebuild a 4300 and make it run properly there are a lot of us out here that would like to know . Many say that they can but when you get the pretty restored carb it doesn't run right or runs ok for a week and then goes to s#!t.  Many enthusiasts just give up trying to get one to run right and run a Holley.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 07:57:36 PM »
For some reason carb rebuilders have a hard problem getting 4300's to run right. At least from mine and just about everyone I know experience. If anyone has FIRST hand experience with someone who can rebuild a 4300 and make it run properly there are a lot of us out here that would like to know . Many say that they can but when you get the pretty restored carb it doesn't run right or runs ok for a week and then goes to s#!t.  Many enthusiasts just give up trying to get one to run right and run a Holley.
Ain't that the truth. I took me over 10 years to get these Webers to run right on my VW engine. The experience got this one offf a 66 done in a day. See attached.
Of course you can wait around and hope a restored one shows up. Since that carb is not in high demand most that restore and sell will not put the time and money into it to sit on a shelf. Your best chance is to find one used and have it restored. best of luck on your search.
If you do get the one you need and it does need a rebuild, scratch some "code" on the underside as an ID and take a picture of it. A couple of members of my Mustang club sent their carbs out to get rebuilt only to get something else backJim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 01:22:47 AM »

Truth.  They are a serious pain, I'm dealing with one now, can't say how many times I've had it apart now.  One mod is to install a secondary needle block off plug which seems to help with common flooding issues.  They are fairly simple carbs as far as the number of parts/pieces that get replaced during a rebuild.  It seems they are quite sensitive to fuel pressure also.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin