Author Topic: 1968 Antenna grommet and clip questions  (Read 1416 times)

Offline gtcs1

1968 Antenna grommet and clip questions
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:38:06 PM »
Hi,

When removing the antenna (because I needed to find the fender hole to cut a hole in a new car cover for clearing the antrenna), I had the remove the antenna cable with its grommet (see photo). I used a loose cable to reuse as a guide on reinstallation. 

The grommet installation orientation was with the conic end facing inward the passenger compartment (i.e. installed thru the fender cut-out pushed onto the sidewall. Is that right, because it would seems much simpler to reinstall from the pass compartment, instead of going thru the fender area.

Also on my antenna cable, about 8" from the antenna body base, there is a metal clip crimped (see photo). What is that for?

Thanks, gtcs1
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:40:48 PM by gtcs1 »

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Re: 1968 Antenna grommet and clip questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
Based on your pictures, you have separation of the grommet! That metal band clamp should have rubber underneath it (in your case it may have deteriorated) that actually is part of the grommet. The metal band holds the grommet in place and seals the rubber against the antenna cable.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline gtcs1

Re: 1968 Antenna grommet and clip questions
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »
Based on your pictures, you have separation of the grommet! That metal band clamp should have rubber underneath it (in your case it may have deteriorated) that actually is part of the grommet. The metal band holds the grommet in place and seals the rubber against the antenna cable.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. That makes great sense. I see the rubber under the clip.

So now, I guess I would have to reinstall the grommet and pull the cable such that it locate the clip just pass the inside of the grommet (where it was in fact before breaking loose..)  I believe it is not an area quite wet, I may have to add a bit of silicone caulking if needed for waterproffness, what do you think, is it an overkill. Any other suggestion to tackle the reinstall??

Thanks
Pierre