Author Topic: Prepping textured Interior metal panels for primer/paint  (Read 996 times)

Offline Darkman270

Prepping textured Interior metal panels for primer/paint
« on: October 16, 2023, 01:47:53 PM »
I've tried searching numerous ways without getting an answer. Some, maybe all, Mustang door shells and at least the 69 lower dash have textured steel panels. I need to prep my 69 lower dash for paint. I believe I should remove all the factory paint so that when painted the texture will still be crisp. I was thinking that a chemical strip and brass or nylon brushes would do best. I do not believe any sandpaper should be used. In the case of the dash it is a low contact area that will not have any thing rubbing on it. Using the thinnest primer, sealer & paint will assure the texture stands out. What do y'all think. What products would you use.

BTW the car is a 69 428CJ Mach 1 R code Black Jade Black interior.  It appeared to not be too badly rusted but as we tore it down almost every single piece was rusted badly just in places that wasn't instantly visible. Unfortunately not to many pieces were repairable. We did repair what we could even when it would be much cheaper to replace the piece. This car will never be that perfectly restored Mustang but it will be very nice in the end. So I'm trying to be factory correct where and when I can. The undercarriage will be finished as they were from the factory trying to emulate the sloppiness of the factory assembly line. Same with the trunk, engine compartment,  inner structure and visible interior. Probably will not be repainted Black Jade but Acapulco Blue or a variant of that utilizing the factory gold reflective Mach 1 stripes.

Thanks for listening.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Prepping textured Interior metal panels for primer/paint
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 02:37:17 PM »
for the textured surfaces i have used these types of wheels. they will not gouge metal but will remove all paint. wear safety glasses as the surface wears it can come apart.

https://www.eastwood.com/replacment-stripping-wheel-with-hub-for-30216.html
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 04:21:01 PM »
I've tried searching numerous ways without getting an answer. Some, maybe all, Mustang door shells and at least the 69 lower dash have textured steel panels. I need to prep my 69 lower dash for paint. I believe I should remove all the factory paint so that when painted the texture will still be crisp. I was thinking that a chemical strip and brass or nylon brushes would do best. I do not believe any sandpaper should be used.
Welcome to the forum. I use Jasco paint stripper (available at Home Depot) on textured surfaces. Read the directions. Mask everything. Wear gloves. Use coarse steel wool to remove the mess. Do small areas. Repeat.
There's another type but I can't find my can. It has "Aircraft" as part of the label.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 07:47:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I use Jasco paint stripper (available at Home Depot) on textured surfaces. Read the directions. Mask everything. Wear gloves. Use coarse steel wool to remove the mess. Do small areas. Repeat.
There's another type but I can't find my can. It has "Aircraft" as part of the label.
Jim
I don't know if this the same because there are a number with aircraft in the name but here is one that I bought before . Strong stuff I used it to strip powder coat off.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 07:51:28 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information for your concours related projects

Since you have a Mach I the general panels your referring to is the lower dash. For the other non-metal panels use use a similar method but very different products as mentioned in a number of prior threads 

In addition to the recommended strippers  I use a non- metal brush to help remove the paint in the pattern using circular motion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Darkman270

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »
Thanks to all! Y'all certainly answered my questions. I will use the suggestions and I'm sure I'll end up with a quality product. Many thanks.

Online AJ

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 10:07:01 PM »
I had good results by first stripping lower dash with paint stripper.   Apparently no primer under the factory paint so the softened paint came off very easily using soft bristle brush.   Subsequently the raw metal surface started to flash rust.  So i sprayed Evaporust from a spray bottle onto paper towels.   Then clung the soaked paper towels to the lower dash.  The soaked paper towels conform and cling nicely to the irregular shapes of the lower dash.  Front and backside.  Periodically id spritz the paper towels to keep them saturated with evaporust.  An hour did the trick.  Next i wiped with acetone and blew with dry air.  then mask and spray light coat of black followed with top coat of dark charcoal.  Seemed to work out pretty good.
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, built 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , built 02/26/69, a/c auto, since ?81

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 12:28:30 AM »
I had good results by first stripping lower dash with paint stripper.   Apparently no primer under the factory paint so the softened paint came off very easily using soft bristle brush.   Subsequently the raw metal surface started to flash rust.  So i sprayed Evaporust from a spray bottle onto paper towels.   Then clung the soaked paper towels to the lower dash.  The soaked paper towels conform and cling nicely to the irregular shapes of the lower dash.  Front and backside.  Periodically id spritz the paper towels to keep them saturated with evaporust.  An hour did the trick.  Next i wiped with acetone and blew with dry air.  then mask and spray light coat of black followed with top coat of dark charcoal.  Seemed to work out pretty good.

Thanks for sharing your experience and what worked for you. Hopefully it along with all the other tips and suggestions will continue to help others with the same job
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kitdoctor

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 08:27:39 PM »
The approach to this was well executed.  What specific paint products were used?
Dirty laundry list:
'70 Torino Cobra SCJ Medium Red, C-code, 24k miles
'70 XW GS Fairmont Diamond White, auto, 40k miles
'71 Boss 351 fastback Grabber Yellow 5k miles
'73 XA GT sedan Lime Glaze, 4 speed, 81k miles
'77 XC Fairmont GXL Onyx Black, 4 speed, 29k km
'78 P6 LTD Sno White, auto, 160k km

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 10:49:25 PM »
You need to wear a respirator an a white plastic suit: https://skygeek.com/henkel-597105-turco-6776-lo-paint-stripper-5-gal.html

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Online AJ

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 11:37:07 AM »
After stripping and cleaning mentioned above,  i sprayed a light coat of black followed by a coat of charcoal black metallic. I used SEM brand purchased from NPD

Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, built 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , built 02/26/69, a/c auto, since ?81