Author Topic: Fuel Tank to Filler Pipe Hose  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Fuel Tank to Filler Pipe Hose
« on: January 19, 2010, 11:03:22 AM »
Mustang vendors indicate the fuel tank to filler pipe hose is incorrect texture. Is this correct and is anything wrong with using an original if it's in good shape.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Fuel Tank to Filler Pipe Hose
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »
NPD sells a "correct" hose, but I have never purchased it. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
IMHO NEVER a problem with reusing nice original parts.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Scott302

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
Repro hoses do not have the "rough" texture of the original.  When I stay rough it's relative to the current smooth surface.  Same with the radiator hoses.  Originals on both had a more lumpy, pebble-y (I'm struggling for terms here) texture.
As for using an original, an article in "Antique Automobile", IIRC, a few years ago written by a fuel system engineer suggested that they should not be used due degradation from age, and from additives in current fuels causing fumes to leak and possibly total failure.  I have the article somewhere.  If I can dig it up I'll post the date for reference if you contact AACA.
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:19:14 AM »
Repro hoses do not have the "rough" texture of the original.  When I stay rough it's relative to the current smooth surface.  Same with the radiator hoses.  Originals on both had a more lumpy, pebble-y (I'm struggling for terms here) texture.
alligator?   ;D
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
Has anyone ordered a filler neck hose from NPD lately if it is improved or not since this original posting?  I got dinged for the cloth version, but if no one sells the correct textured version technically i can get dinged for that as well like the plenum but this is dealing with gas and vapors that can make there way into the passenger compartment. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
Anyone buy one recently that can comment on how it looks?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:47:05 AM »
I've bought the new smooth ones.  They don't have as much texture as originals, but a lot closer than the cloth style.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Scott302

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
Current cloth covered versus all rubber (9047-1A vs 9047-2).  The all rubber is pretty smooth.

I would caution people about using older rubber with modern fuels.  We have seen first hand what ethanol and fuel additives can do to older rubber.  In doing some research I have been informed that most pump fuels have some amount of Ethanol but the suppliers are only required to post notifications when gasoline has 10% or greater Ethanol content.  I have personally seen what 10% Ethanol can do to gasoline rated hose that is only 6 years old.  The only way I have found to avoid Ethanol in gas is to seek out "Recreational" fuel that is usually found at or near lakes.  And the effects are not limited to fuel hose.  Older accelerator pump diaphragms are showing degradation as well. 
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Building 3

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »
You can find gas stations that sell ethanol free gasoline at this website: https://www.pure-gas.org/  I have used ethanol free for two years now, but it will take a lot longer than that to see any results.  As Scott said, these are usually found near recreational areas, and also farms. I talked to the sales rep and he said it is also great for snow blowers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers in addition to cars and boats.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »
You can find gas stations that sell ethanol free gasoline at this website: https://www.pure-gas.org/  I have used ethanol free for two years now, but it will take a lot longer than that to see any results.  As Scott said, these are usually found near recreational areas, and also farms. I talked to the sales rep and he said it is also great for snow blowers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers in addition to cars and boats.

Ethanol recently again giving me trouble on my lawn mower...the fuel line runs from the tank, under the cooling fins of the engine and I get vapor lock with it after running about 1/2 hour (or less on a hotter day). It baffled me at first (last year) but I realized that driving with my hood open helped things run cool enough and prevented the issue. Mid-June they switch away from ethanol based gas around here (OHIO) so issue goes away next time I buy gas. Now, running off the 10-gallons I already have on hand will probably end up in the wife's car ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rrenz

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 10:53:45 PM »
I Just recently installed the NPD version. It has a very light texture but like mentioned above nothing like the original. I went ahead and added the white stripe to mine also.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary