Author Topic: Rebuilding choke Stove  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Rebuilding choke Stove
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »
Found a nice article on rebuilding a choke stove.

http://www.428cobrajet.org/files/choke-stove-rebuild.pdf

Is this step often overlooked when rebuilding an engine?

Where can you get the heat element?
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Rebuilding choke Stove
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 02:55:53 PM »
i'd say yes. i have found them often overlooked. not sure what you mean by 'heat element'?
5F09C331248

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:05:56 PM »
The silver looking filter, I see that NPD sells them.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »
First time the exhaust manifolds are bead blasted, media gets into the heat chamber... which eventually finds it way to the inside of the carb choke housing... causing problems with the choke. 

If your original manifolds are pitted, you may want to consider NOS manifolds, which still seem to be somewhat plentiful.  They come up on ebay once in a while, sell around $75-150 each.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Murf

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »
I have had good luck using the original mesh.  Just remove it BEFORE you clean the manifolds.  It lasts forever and normally only has some rust and carbon in it that falls out when you wiggle the mesh a little bit.  I allways clean out the hole(s) and when glass beading the manifold just blast in the chamber until it is bare metal with no rust left.  Heat is required to remove the plug in the bottom, and it drives back in after cleaning with little effort.  Remember that a few particles of glass bead will stick the automatic choke piston in the carb so blow out everything concerned with this hot air loop very well before installing.  I shudder to think how many chokes are inoperative because someone glass beaded their manifolds with this mesh in place thinking they were making an improvement in their cars!
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:32:06 PM »
I just removed the fitting and pulled the filter. Filter still looked new even after media blasting and ceramic coating. Used a chisel and hammer to loosen the fitting and then applied vise grips. After a few hits with the hammer back and forth it came loose.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968