Author Topic: 65 SJ Running Change Thread - Fastback Coat Hooks  (Read 1181 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
65 SJ Running Change Thread - Fastback Coat Hooks
« on: August 11, 2020, 07:35:36 PM »
Working through the running change list  for 1965 San Jose built fastbacks today so figured I would share and invite others to submit their findings and observations. Think I have it narrowed down pretty well given we don't know when any of the cars were really build but at least we can provide how to determine if the car is apart how they were equipped and some guidance for those that are fully assembled.

Just as a review. A long time ago it became apparent that earlier built fastbacks lacked the coat hooks on both sides of the interior for some reason. Not sure if the designers didn't like the look but sales determined (maybe customer complaints) that they were wanted/needed.

Since the location of the hook was added to a spot in the roof side rail where an opening was already present the fix was an addition of a small plate welded over the hole during unibody assembly as shown below. Like above - Earlier car, upper left - Later car, lower right

May 8th 2021 Update: After collecting and looking at the data assembled it appears that the change from no coat hooks on fastbacks to having them took place approximately between the end or so of April and the middle of May 1965

Highest 65 San Jose vin for a fastback with no coat hooks or attachment found was 5R09x2149xx with a scheduled build date of 4/29
Lowest 65 San Jose vin for a fastback with coat hooks or attachment bracket installed found was 5R09x2174xx with a scheduled build date of  5/12
Of course cars were not built in sequential order so any of these dates must be viewed as approximate dates and VIN when applied to other cars but they should provide a fairly reliable range for comparison

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 11:34:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 SJ Running Change Thread - Fastback Coat Hooks
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 01:28:10 AM »
Never got any additional input on this running change. Because of the lack our ability to really know exactly when each car was built the date of change can be an estimate at best. Will post the results in the first post of the thread this coming week. If you any that you want to include in the survey please post.

Really interested in  March/April 65 as that appears to be the change time period if you want a little hint where this is all going  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 03:34:44 PM »
Jeff,

I feel like there is something there on my June of 65 fastback and definitely feels different from my October of 64 fastback in the same area.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 04:51:57 PM »
Jeff,

I feel like there is something there on my June of 65 fastback and definitely feels different from my October of 64 fastback in the same area.

Looks like the bracket for the hook is there
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 11:35:51 PM »
Findings/current conclusion posted in the first post with graphic

Hope this helps other

Personally wondered about this one over the years just never sat down to figure things out
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 08:09:42 PM »
This is a bit late (my 66 GT K Fastback needs to come out of the garage first - today was the day), my 65 San Jose built GT Fastback, 11S = 5/11/65 scheduled (a Tuesday), has coat hooks.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »
This is a bit late (my 66 GT K Fastback needs to come out of the garage first - today was the day), my 65 San Jose built GT Fastback, 11S = 5/11/65 scheduled (a Tuesday), has coat hooks.
Jim

Thanks - does confirm or at least adds support to the change over time range
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 03:58:50 PM »
An additional though on changeovers dates. Would a changeover happen on a weekend, assuming a six day work week? In this case, a build date of 8S (5/8/65), a Saturday, would not have coat hooks (no production on Sunday) and a build date of 10S (5/10/65), a Monday, would be the implementation day, and have the hooks?
Just a thought.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 10:42:31 PM »
An additional though on changeovers dates. Would a changeover happen on a weekend, assuming a six day work week? In this case, a build date of 8S (5/8/65), a Saturday, would not have coat hooks (no production on Sunday) and a build date of 10S (5/10/65), a Monday, would be the implementation day, and have the hooks?
Just a thought.
Jim

Don't believe day of the week affected things like that or in other words produced a hard change over even aligning in a single day since (if they were only working 6 days at some point) there would have been cars sitting on the line partially assembled when the first shift started back up that morning. Some would be sittting on the line when the line was shut down,  pre complete uni-body assembly while most would be post uni-body assembly. So they would be completed on Monday even if the change was implemented at the start of the day.
Jeff Speegle