Author Topic: Heads up on FE oil pans  (Read 2281 times)

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
Heads up on FE oil pans
« on: July 28, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »
Here's a tip that will hopefully save a lot of headache for some. I had to learn the hard way and totally disassemble a completed concours 428 Shelby. There is a new FE oil pan (repro) that is very nice looking and much needed. After running the fresh engine with one of these installed I noticed an oil leak. After totally disassembling it I discoveedr that the flange although straight is not formed at a true 90 degrees. When you put the pan upside down on a true flat surface you see the inside edge of the flange contacts the surface but the outside edge doesn't and in some places is almost an 1/8" off. The fix is fairly simple, just tap  with a scrap 2 x 4 and hammer on flat surface but it is a nightmare if you don't do it before installing on engine.

Offline Machman

Re: Heads up on FE oil pans
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
Wow, Thanks for the heads up on the oil pan. I got one of those for a car I am building for a family friend and your right it is quite nice.  I am glad I have not gotten around to installing it yet.  I am guessing you saved me a bunch of time and a few paint chips in the engine compartment
Steve Duke
Mach-A-Holic