Author Topic: drum brake backing plates  (Read 290 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

drum brake backing plates
« on: April 09, 2024, 10:15:03 PM »
This a generic question, has anybody seen, are there photos of, numbers stamped on the backing plate outsides in the small recess near adjustor hole? 2 different Fords I have done have a 4 digit number. Wonder how wide spread it might be.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: drum brake backing plates
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 10:34:55 PM »
This a generic question, has anybody seen, are there photos of, numbers stamped on the backing plate outsides in the small recess near adjustor hole? 2 different Fords I have done have a 4 digit number. Wonder how wide spread it might be.
If you mean the numbers that identify the backing plates then yes . I am under the impression that the numbers  have to do with identification for diameter and brake pad width.  However I don't know of a comprehensive listing with applications. For example I only keep track of the few unique different ones for the Shelby applications.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 06:00:41 PM »
Agree with the identification. Two makers and two different practices as far as marking

If your are number by the brake adjusting hole then they are likely Bendix made

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GinoJ

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 10:43:13 AM »
These are from my early 67 ( but Aug 66 ) S code Convt.  One Bendix, one Kelsey-Hayes.

Neither have numbers.