Author Topic: starter and clutch braket bolts.  (Read 7353 times)

Offline Brandon Badel

starter and clutch braket bolts.
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
Any one here have pictures of the bolts for the starter and the braket for the clutch that bolts to the motor. I have a 69 cj  Dearborn,Dec 4 68. Black with red interior. I received the car in peices and nothing is there. Its been over a year to collect all the parts for the motor and assemble.  A few more peices like this and im done the engine. I will then start the transmision. Im going nuts trying to do this car correct. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: starter and clutch braket bolts.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
Have the starter bolts sitting on the bench at the shop. Will grab a picture in the am. They are an odd bolt with a smaller head (to clear all the stuff down there) with a shoulder.washer built in

The equalizer to frame mount bolts, if I recall correctly, have heads that are sunken and also come with an captured lock washer.  Let me see if I have a picture in the data base. But don't let that stop anyone from beating me to the punch ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:58:12 PM »
Hope this helps

Starter bolt on the right

Jeff Speegle

Offline Brandon Badel

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
Thanks for the help. I will try to find find some.  If i cant find any can any one help me with this. I was wondering are the bolts orinal and you had them replated? This is a great sight.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 01:19:27 AM »
Thanks for the help. I will try to find find some.  If i cant find any can any one help me with this. I was wondering are the bolts orinal and you had them replated? This is a great sight.

The clutch mounting bracket one is original. The starter is a AMK repo  - did have any that were already replated and didn't want to use the rattle can
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:45:56 AM »
Jeff - I don't find a 5/16-18 BB starter bolt like the one pictured in your post in my AMK catalog..??  The only one I see that looks like that one is the 3/8-16 SB starter bolt.  Can you help please?
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »
Jeff - I don't find a 5/16-18 BB starter bolt like the one pictured in your post in my AMK catalog..??  The only one I see that looks like that one is the 3/8-16 SB starter bolt.  Can you help please?

Don't know that AMK carries them so you will have to find used ones. The example was more to demonstrate the design and style of the hardware.

Sorry for the confusion since I grapped what was handy - and it was Windsor stuff :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brandon Badel

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
what happened to the first picture?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
Brandon   if got to say sorry - lead you down the wrong path. A good friend (isn't that what they are there for ;) reminded me that I had posted a picture of the wrong bolt for the starter.

The correct shape and style is the one Jim had posted on the CJ site that AMK supplies (though we can differ on the correct finish)  Basically the same shape and head style as the clutch bolt we are discussing

Sorry for  the mistake - and it's much more important to me that you get the right info than any ego thing. Been wrong before and aill again unfortunately. 20 or so on the internet and all those posts - this is not the first time. ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline Brandon Badel

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
what should the finish  be in your opinion only for the starter bolts and the bracket for the clutch.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 08:51:38 PM »
what should the finish  be in your opinion only for the starter bolts and the bracket for the clutch.

I've seen the brackets (service replacements) in zinc but believe but have only seen originals natural  steel

Starter bolts are shown (as part of there identification numbers) as zinc dichromate, Have nothing to show anything other than that
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:10:41 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brandon Badel

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 01:19:41 AM »
The bracket is black phosphate assembly line with a small 90 at the bottom. The NOS replacement does not have the 90 at the bottom.  This finish is veryfied Jack, And Ed. I can email you direct the
comparison photos if you would like. I still have to learn the photo hosting.  I want to thank every one for the help.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 03:55:35 AM »
Black Phosphate???? Not what I recall - but would not be the first time we all have not agreed one a detail.

Will find time to discuss it with Ed this week and Jack during my next visit.

Would be happy to see some pictures - you should be able to find my email address in my profile.
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 10:07:24 AM »
Might be referring to manganese phosphate as the "darker" variety of phosphat/oil.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brandon Badel

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
I agree with the manganese.  I will send you the pictures soon. Thanks alot.