1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

1967 FB tail-light wiring harness

(1/5) > >>

RocketScientist:
The tail-light wiring loom in my 67 FB (SJ, 13 Jul 67) had been buthchered by a PO and has lost all its braiding up to the point it enters the trunk. I am wanting to neaten up the wiring and was wondering what was braided. I do have the wiring diagrams but they are a little unclear in places. For example, I have seen braiding on the licence plate light on a SJ convertible but the diagrams (or mine!) don't show it. Any guidence would be appreciated.

Also, has any one replicated the braiding yet. Even if its a reasonable fit, it would be better than what I have.

Thanks,
Brad

midlife:
Braiding began about 2inches from the connector plugs (near the dash), and was used throughout the harness.  Where the wires break-out for the tail-lights, backup lights, and license plates, there may be about 1/2" or so of bare wire exposed on either side. 

The braiding has to be applied prior to the molding of the various connectors and as the harness is being made.  To replace it means to tear everything apart, start over, and build up the harness with molding the connector plugs being the last piece.  Rhode Island Wiring can do this, but be prepared to fork out some dough.

By the way, the original braiding was cotton and can no longer be used due to various Federal regulations (flammability).

RocketScientist:
Thanks, it seems doing the right thing is never easy....

RocketScientist:
I forgot to confirm if the other lines: fuel tank, licence plate, back-up lights etc. remain unbraided.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: RocketScientist on November 22, 2013, 12:11:49 AM ---I forgot to confirm if the other lines: fuel tank, licence plate, back-up lights etc. remain unbraided.

--- End quote ---

License plate light wire (short lead that plugs into the main loom) has an outer sleeve, don't believe the back ups do. Don't see any on the fuel sender wire but it appears two different colored wires were used 

For the license plate light wire its a dark colored jacket similar to the stuff (if not the exact same) that was used to cover the oil sending unit wire on some applications. I know guys have purchased it by the roll or from others with a roll of the stuff. Repo stuff is often off white in color and gets you a wuick point deduction on the show field. Know guys that have just taken the black felt pen to the repo and it may work but its still doesn't look original

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version