Author Topic: 67 Automatic trans Console Shift Lever / gear Indicator woes  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Angela

67 Automatic trans Console Shift Lever / gear Indicator woes
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
I am at my wits end. This car fights me every step of the way. I'm trying to install the original center floor console, using the original holes in the floor pan. After two days of fighting with it, I have most of the console installed. Before putting the top plate onto the console, I connected the battery to test the shift indicator light. Here's the problem:

When the transmission is in Park (lever fully forward), the indicator light cannot be seen
When you pull the shift lever back one detent into reverse, the shift indicator light illuminates the "P"
When you pull the shift lever back one more detent into neutral, the shift indicator light illuminates the "R"
...etc
...etc
When you pull the shift lever ALL the way back to the rear-most position (what should be 1st gear), the shift indicator light illuminates the "2" (i.e. the lens for 1st gear cannot be illuminated)

All parts are original...no repro parts have been used. I don't see anyway to adjust anything here. What is wrong? FYI, 390/C6 application, June 30 '67 build date

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Automatic trans Console Shift Lever / gear Indicator woes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
Do you have the alignment pins on the bottom of the plastic indicator in the metal tabs on the shifter plate? Often the pins are broken off.

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Yes, both pins are in place and aligned into the metal tabs welded to the shift "bucket". To be off an entire gear, something has to be out of alignment (front to rear) by at least 3/8" or maybe 1/2" inch. I cannot figure out what could be offset by that much without me knowing it.

I did use an NOS selector rod (plastic rod) PN C7ZZ-72148-A1...... is it possible they made different length selector rods and I have the wrong one?

Actually, that PN might be C7ZZ-7 E 148-A1  (hard to read the old faded ink)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:04:17 AM by Angela »

Offline stangfan

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
This might be way so obvious that you probably have already checked, but...is the light bulb and mounting bracket properly installed in the shifter arm?
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
This could be checked PRIOR to installing the console, the metal tabs (on the shifter housing) can be tweeked forwards or backwards some to help align the indicator...assuming all is assmebled correctly that is. You may have already noticed the console base has provision for allowing some fore or aft movement of the indicator plate, but the shifter housing does NOT. NOTE: Tweeking the ears should be done while the shifter indicator portion is lifted out of te way, as not to damage the plastic alignment pins (dowels)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 07:26:54 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my indicators on my 68 floor console. Off by 1, looks like disassemble the console, again, and keep plugging away 😛
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »
Had this problem once. Long story short the hole in the reproduction floor pan was mid-located. Had to cut it and weld it in the right place. Bad week.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 10:38:20 PM »
Be sure that the indicator plastic guide pins are received in to the metal brackets on the shifter base and those brackets are no bent.