Author Topic: Crossmember Finish  (Read 1823 times)

Offline BubbaG

Crossmember Finish
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
What is the correct finish for the crossmember that bolts to the frame under the engine on a 1966 Shelby GT350 (Dearborn)?  I have been told semi-gloss black, and also natural (unpainted).
1966 Fastback A code 4sp
1986 Hatchback 351W C4
1990 GT Convertible T5
2008 GT Convertible

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Crossmember Finish
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
Semi gloss black, believe they were dipped, so usually are a little to the gloss side.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline BubbaG

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »
Thanks.  Mine has remants of black paint, so that's what I thought, but wanted to ask the experts.  I assume the bolts are supposed to be unpainted (as mine are), but are they oil & phosphated or something to minimize rust?
1966 Fastback A code 4sp
1986 Hatchback 351W C4
1990 GT Convertible T5
2008 GT Convertible

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
Bolts are usually phosphate/oil or a dark heat-treated appearance.  The replacements have incorrect markings, so best to refinish the originals if they aren't pitted or damaged.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »
+1 on phosphate and oil finish and the head markings: I went through this correction this winter, where I stripped and painted the cross member and then had these AMK bolts that had the wrong head markings. It drove me absolutely crazy that you pay $10 for them and they are not marked correctly. Ended up buying the right ones from Bob Perkins. Happy camper (and no longer fussing)...felt like detective Adrian Monk for awhile...
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »
Some points of clarification: grade 2 bolts were used on 64 thru 66 Mustangs, grade 5 "may" have started in 1967 and were used after. This is what is sold by AMK. In my pile of these bolts are many grade 5 with a "F" in the center, a couple of grade 5 marked U with a B inside, and a couple of grade 8 F heads. The source of this hardware were wrecked Mustangs.
The reference to the bolts, 379068-S (Motorcraft BB817Q), in the Chassis manuals and Ford Car Parts is without finish, however there must have been some type of finish but the Chassis Design Group's documentation, as seen in the available Chassis Assembly Manuals is in many instances, poor. Quite possibly they left off the finish as that was the only one specified on the source document. As a matter of lowering the re-occurrence of rust, I phosphate them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »
What great follow-up info, thank you! This a perfect example of why I've been hooked on reading through this site for so long. You'd be hard pressed to get this detail and information from anywhere else, trust me. Between this site and Bob Mannel, Colin Date and a couple of others, an enthusiast can stay on a fairly straight road and attain/maintain the authenticity most of us persue with our passions. I remain very grateful to all of you.

With that now off my chest, I should have also stayed on the original topic of "cross member finish" and "+1'd" that as well: Semi Gloss is right, as I found traces of that paint on the two '66 cars that I have owned over the many years. I did however, spray bomb my cross member and didn't realize they dipped them. Think I'll just leave it alone (it looks nice enough for NW weather). Another thing to remember is to not install it backwards, if your car has power steering and the bar has the flat spot, which should face forward, towards the control valve (drivers side). It has been mentioned on this site previously to watch out for this. Thanks again everyone. I mean it!
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline BubbaG

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »
Many thanks to all of you.  This is the best resource because of all the experienced like you guys that are so willing to help.
1966 Fastback A code 4sp
1986 Hatchback 351W C4
1990 GT Convertible T5
2008 GT Convertible