Author Topic: Wanted-oil filter pics  (Read 7726 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Re: Wanted-oil filter pics
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »
Hey guys,

If you bought any Motorcraft filters from the link make sure you check them good. I had one box that had a STP filter and all of them looked like they have been wet and one was real rusty. Checking back with the seller to see what he will do.

Hi I ordered one from the eBay link.  The box was in bad shape but the filter looks good.  I guess I was lucky

1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline BobV

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
I ordered 4. The boxes were beat up a bit, but 3 of the filters look good. The 4th one looks like a candidate for grey engine paint. Fortunately, no rust.

Hope to see a few of you in Lincoln! I'm signed up to judge as well.
David - are you bringing your 79?

BobV, Nice car! You were parked in the row of mustang years, right? I know your car too! Tom was in our Mustang club(Show-Me Mustang) for awhile. I think I sold him a set of headlight covers. Back in the day I had some on my car after seeing the Saleens with them.
I don't remember the car looking as good as you have it looking now, I checked your car out at the show. Very sharp!  I see you still have R12 A/C, impressive! I finally converted   because it always needed a charge every couple of years  $ and the A/C has to work for the wife.
I don't think we will make the Lincoln show, my wife is going through chemo treatments and the timing doesn't work for us. Kicking around the idea of the Georgia MCA National but don't want to drive the '86 that far, may try trailering if everything goes well. The car had enough points for a Platinum award in Unrestored  but they only give those at Grand Nationals or the last show of the year.

Yes, I was in the showcase row. There were extra headlight covers with the car, so they may have been yours!
I've had to do a LOT of polishing, cleaning, and TLC to get the car show-worthy. Tom provided a great canvas to work with though - mostly original paint, with all the Saleen-specific stuff intact. Yes, still R12 - used my LAST can of $.89 freon last year. It blows cold, although I did have some freeze-up trouble going thru Dallas last summer at 103*. A/C guy says I still need about 4-6 more oz of freon, but it wasn't worth tracking down another can until we knew there weren't leaks. It's held the charge - as we used A/C to & from Springfield.

I had considered trying to go unrestored with the car, but still need a stock catback, battery, and the correct Saleen-specific tires. Enjoying the challenge on Concours Driven so far. Doesn't seem like there are many entries in Concours Driven Saleen...  :-\

On a personal note, best wishes to your wife - she's in our prayers.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:47:47 AM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline mtchstng65

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Looks like you guys were luckier than me with the filters. At least he took the bad ones back without any problems.

BobV, you've done a great job with the Saleen. I like the painted Motorcraft battery, Great idea. I may 'borrow' your idea for local shows.  ;)
I have an extra NOS H-pipe (cats) is all have if you need, wish I had an extra complete set of exhaust. I try to baby mine as much as possible making sure all the condensation is out before I shut it off to try to keep the mufflers from rusting.

Unrestored is a great class if you have any original paperwork since you can get up to 10 bonus points for that.

I'm sure I will eventually run into you guys at a MCA show.

Thanks for the thoughts for the wife Bob I appreciate it.

mitch

1965 Fastback, 1966 Fastback, 1986 GT Hatchback (Unrestored), 2003 Mach 1,
2008 Shelby GT500,
641/2-66 Concours Mustang MCA Certified Judge & 1965-1966 Shelby MCA Certified Judge
www.showmemustang.com

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 12:25:15 AM »
I ordered 4. The boxes were beat up a bit, but 3 of the filters look good. The 4th one looks like a candidate for grey engine paint. Fortunately, no rust.

Hope to see a few of you in Lincoln! I'm signed up to judge as well.
David - are you bringing your 79?

Yes, I was in the showcase row. There were extra headlight covers with the car, so they may have been yours!
I've had to do a LOT of polishing, cleaning, and TLC to get the car show-worthy. Tom provided a great canvas to work with though - mostly original paint, with all the Saleen-specific stuff intact. Yes, still R12 - used my LAST can of $.89 freon last year. It blows cold, although I did have some freeze-up trouble going thru Dallas last summer at 103*. A/C guy says I still need about 4-6 more oz of freon, but it wasn't worth tracking down another can until we knew there weren't leaks. It's held the charge - as we used A/C to & from Springfield.

I had considered trying to go unrestored with the car, but still need a stock catback, battery, and the correct Saleen-specific tires. Enjoying the challenge on Concours Driven so far. Doesn't seem like there are many entries in Concours Driven Saleen...  :-\

On a personal note, best wishes to your wife - she's in our prayers.

First, I second Bob regarding your wife. She is in my prayers too. 

Bob I will not be bringing my 79. I wish I could. My wife and I are flying to Nebraska just for this show. I try to judge one national show per year. Last year was Indy.
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »
I try to baby mine as much as possible making sure all the condensation is out before I shut it off to try to keep the mufflers from rusting.

mitch

Hi Mitch this sounds brilliant. I just purchased a NOS exhaust set for my 1979 and was worrying about the rust accumulation. Sorry to sound not smart on this, but how do you remove all the condensation prior to shut off?  Do you run it until no condensation comes out? 

Thanks for the tip!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline mtchstng65

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts for my wife guys.

Nothing real high tech on the exhaust. I just never start the car unless I can get it to full operating temp. And always make sure no condensation or moisture is coming from the pipes before I shut it off. I occasionally will wipe the exhaust down with WD-40 also.

I think the biggest thing is trying to keep it from rusting from the inside out.

So far it has worked on the '86 for 28 years and 3x,xxx miles.  :)
2008 Shelby GT500,
641/2-66 Concours Mustang MCA Certified Judge & 1965-1966 Shelby MCA Certified Judge
www.showmemustang.com

Offline BobV

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
Yes, I felt very lucky when I opened the filter boxes!  :)

Hope to meet you at Lincoln, David. I'm signed up to help judge, and hoping to do Foxbodies (Saleen is in a separate class, so it's OK). Passed my test last winter, and have judged them locally several times. Has really helped with my own car.  ;)

On the battery, I used the templates from http://myzephyrs.com/motorcraft_battery.htm , along with Krylon Fusion Flat White paint. Spent more time watching paint dry than working. It's held up well for over a year now. Seems to get a lot of attention...

1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
Yes, I felt very lucky when I opened the filter boxes!  :)

Hope to meet you at Lincoln, David. I'm signed up to help judge, and hoping to do Foxbodies (Saleen is in a separate class, so it's OK). Passed my test last winter, and have judged them locally several times. Has really helped with my own car.  ;)

On the battery, I used the templates from http://myzephyrs.com/motorcraft_battery.htm , along with Krylon Fusion Flat White paint. Spent more time watching paint dry than working. It's held up well for over a year now. Seems to get a lot of attention...

Looks really good Bob. Jim(red78) has helped me a lot with his decals. Your battery looks great!
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Offline KevinK

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
Nice car and nice battery.  I noticed the stamped in plastic serial number on the battery top. Is that a comfirmed assembly line battery or period correct replacement?  I ask as I am still learning the details on these.  I don't seem to recall seeing the stamping on my battery. I will have to look now. Was there a date sticker on the side like we see today?

Gray painted embossed oil filters are MCA accepted as well.  Be sure to avoid the non-embossed made in Mexico filters for show.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline BobV

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »

MCA magazine Mustang Times took some photos after the Springfield MCA show so maybe it will be in the magazine at some point.
Seems like the original white battery is a tough piece, I noticed several people taking pics of the battery at the show.
People thought I was crazy driving the car up there and then putting in a dead battery for the show.

Mitch
Congrats Mitch - just saw the article in this month's Mustang Times! Looks great!
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline mtchstng65

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 09:14:16 PM »
Thanks! It took awhile, I was wondering if it would happen after the editor change.
2008 Shelby GT500,
www.showmemustang.com

Offline Cobra285

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »
This is what the 1993 looks like