Author Topic: '69 351W w/factory air: Fan Clutch or Not?  (Read 3503 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 351W w/factory air: Fan Clutch or Not?
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »
Hi guys, I recently had some good friends who are certified MCA judges come by and check out my '69 Mach 1.  I'm getting it ready for the Savannah MCA show in October.  My car was built in June '69 at Metuchen.  It's a factory air car, with a 351W and automatic.  The car was disassembled when I bought it, so there's not a lot of references to go by.  Since my car had factory A/C, would it have had a fan clutch when it was originally built?  Right now, it has a fan shroud, but has the standard fan extension instead of a fan clutch.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '69 351W w/factory air: Fan Clutch or Not?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
No clutch fan on that application (thought we covered this in another tread) In later years its not a direct - all AC cars get clutch fans and all non AC cars get non- clutch fans

Buildsheet sheets indicate the original fan which confirms application and the type ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:24:16 PM »
No clutch fan on that application (thought we covered this in another tread) In later years its not a direct - all AC cars get clutch fans and all non AC cars get non- clutch fans

Buildsheet sheets indicate the original fan which confirms application and the type ;)
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:47 AM »

Ok, so the car is correct then.  Given how rough of a life this Mach probably had, I'd say that original buildsheet ended up in the trash by about 1971.   :P

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »
Here is a cropped buildsheet that you should be able to use as documentation - need more just let me know

C8SE-B  - hope this helps.

Jeff Speegle

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
Here is a cropped buildsheet that you should be able to use as documentation - need more just let me know

Great, thank you!!  I'll double check what's on the car, but it seems like it may very well be the correct setup.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:15 PM »
Great, thank you!!  I'll double check what's on the car, but it seems like it may very well be the correct setup.

Great hope so - another thing you'll not need to find or look for

For others it appears that the fan is a T-bird piece and was used on 69 Boss 302's also
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »
Is there a guide to what all the codes mean.   I have my original build sheet and understand many of the letter codes. 
Thanks  Mark
Mark
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 390-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1968
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 351C-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1972

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:25:41 PM »
Is there a guide to what all the codes mean.   I have my original build sheet and understand many of the letter codes. 
Thanks  Mark

No - though a couple of people have considered doing a book.

Most of what is written in the post 67 years are pretty easy to figure out (some might require a MPC)  especially compared to the 65-66 ones and there are a couple of efforts that have covered allot of the codes just through cross checking and comparing

In some cases the "code" is simply a mark indicating the option was ordered, sometimes the code tells you what style or color of option was chosen.

If you want start a new thread - post a picture/scan of the buildsheet or the section you have questions about and we'll try and help
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mark69Sportsroof

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 12:11:49 AM »
Thanks  Jeff.  I will follow up with a new post  Mark
Mark
1969 Ford Mustang Sportsroof, 390-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1968
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 351C-4V
Dearborn built on Oct 31, 1972