Author Topic: 69 Fastback Roof Rail Weatherstripping  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
69 Fastback Roof Rail Weatherstripping
« on: July 12, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
I found on some older threads people using a double sided foam tape between the retainer and the body of the vehicle.  Is this the same type of material to be used between the weatherstripping and the retainer, or would the Herco type adhesive work better.

Thanks
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Fastback Roof Rail Weatherstripping
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
The double sided stuff was only used between the body and the metal retaining strip.   On allot of cars I've seen it doesn't look like they used much or any adhesive for the rubber to the retaining strip always hard to tell if it just bonded to each other from the heat or age but don't recall seeing any remaining signs of an adhesive. Done allot of cars with nothing - just let the retainer hold it in place. Its allot easier to position that way also

Just my experiences
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:50:25 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I didn't see any signs of adhesive on mine but there is parts of the weatherstrip bonded to the retainer.  That makes sense that the sun after time would fuse the rubber/foam to the metal.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
I have been using DMT  (Detroit Muscle Tech) foam for the roof rails and they end up just like the original ESPECIALLY if you dip in thinned roof adhesive.

Now anyone that has CLEANED the mush off their original cars PERSONALLY (not people that pay for restorations) you probably think OMG - why would I what to deal with that mess again!   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMT-MOPAR-B-Body-68-70-Drip-Rail-Door-Weatherstrip-Channel-Foam-Seal-Set-POP-OUT-/290970566904?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bf3280f8&vxp=mtr

Mark
P.S.  It's funny this the local company I went to to have my Brake booster FOAM seal reproduced during the same time that Scott H. was just bringing his gasket to market !!    I keep saying that my car had a seal between the firewall and mounting bracket - just couldn't find one!
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969