Author Topic: '69 Buck Tag, Built in June in Metuchen  (Read 5977 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 Buck Tag, Built in June in Metuchen
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:39:46 PM »
Hi guys, I was wondering if my car, a '69 Mach built June 5th, 1969, at Metuchen, would have originally had a body buck tag?  A good friend of mine has a very original '69 that was built earlier in 1969 at Metuchen, and his has the body buck tag.  My car had a very rough life, to say the least, but I never found any evidence of it ever having a tag.  I would've expected the top of the RH rear fender apron to have a screw hole or something to indicate where the tag had once been.

I'm looking at fixing a few minor things on my car, and this is one of those little details that I'd like to have present if the car did in fact come with it originally.  Marti reproduces these tags, but at $70/ea, I want to be REALLY sure my car came with one when it was new.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: '69 Buck Tag, Built in June in Metuchen
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
I sort of answered my own question--I found my copy of Marti's Mustang and Cougar Tagbook.  However, I could use some help with the location, just to be sure I have it correct.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »
     My car does not have a buck tag attached but did have the hole.  A picture of the fender, with date, and apron area.  I put a screw in the existing hole, above the hood bump, and I think the screw may be the correct style. Second picture is of the lower apron area that has a date stamp 9 10 D3.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:53:16 PM »
Thanks, Brian, that definitely gives me some ideas on my car.  I wonder if maybe the tag fell off and I inadvertently filled the hole during the engine bay restoration?  I really don't think I did, but then again, anything's possible.  I'll look up underneath the fender apron and see if I can see any signs of the original hole.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
  If your car spent any time in the Northeast there is a good chance it just corroded and fell off as mine did. My car has only seen one winter and the tag went to where ever about the fourth year I had it. Brian's picture is a pretty good reference, I would have to check and see where mine was but his flick is very close.

Offline jimhib

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »
     Brian is that a Phillips head screw near the hex head screw in the picture? If so that is the screw for your buck tag. My original was mounted at about a forty five degree angle to the fender edge partially hanging over the edge of the apron. The screw is still there but not the tag, have to get a new one from KM.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
Interesting comment you made about the location of your Buck Tag's screw hole.  The hole in my fender is where the Phillips head w/shoulder screw is located.  My car being a September 68 car used that location.  Your car, November ?, the location moved to match your description.  The style/shape of the tag also changed.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
One more thing I forgot to ask: Was the buck tag already installed when the engine bay was painted black?  Basically, should the tag be painted black or should it be left natural?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:41:08 PM »
One more thing I forgot to ask: Was the buck tag already installed when the engine bay was painted black?  Basically, should the tag be painted black or should it be left natural?

TO your first question - yes it would have originally had a tag since that was the way they communicated to certain workers what was to be done to the body at that plant.

Buck tag would have been painted black

Few examples from the spring into summer 69 NJ

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:56:44 AM »
Jeff, thank you for the pictures.  I couldn't help but notice that the buck tags are mounted in slightly different locations, though they're all on that right rear fender apron.  Was the exact mounting location something that varied from car to car?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
Jeff, thank you for the pictures.  I couldn't help but notice that the buck tags are mounted in slightly different locations, though they're all on that right rear fender apron.  Was the exact mounting location something that varied from car to car?

Believe that as you and others have observed there was no prepunched hole so workers used a self tapping screw and just attached them in a designated area of the inner fender panel - leaving us with some slight variations in their original locations
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »
Believe that as you and others have observed there was no prepunched hole so workers used a self tapping screw and just attached them in a designated area of the inner fender panel - leaving us with some slight variations in their original locations

Gotcha, I understand now.  Thanks!