Author Topic: Spray paint removal on interior panels  (Read 7118 times)

Offline kryptonite

Re: Spray paint removal on interior panels
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not, but I used the aerosol version of airplane paint stripper on the interior panels on my 65. First picture is before, then second is after.

After the paint started bubbling, I used a soft plastic scrapper and shop towels to remove the black paint. I repeated the process until I got all of the black off.

If you do use this product, make sure you use it in a very well ventilated area and possibly a respirator and do not let it contact your skin. It does burn.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 10:06:40 PM »
Did that aerosol remove the texture as well? 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline kryptonite

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
Did that aerosol remove the texture as well?

No. The texturing is intact. When I first used the stuff, I applied it on a small test area and applied it lightly.
I also have the liquid/gel and use it on body panels. Apply with a brush and watch it eat away the paint, then spray it off with a power washer or using a plastic soft scraper.

Question: When repainting the interior pieces to the correct color, do you recommend primer first or just apply the color?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 02:06:52 PM by kryptonite »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »
Question: When repainting the interior pieces to the correct color, do you recommend primer first or just apply the color?

After they are prepped (texture fixed, surface ready to go) I just us paint. I fined that this reduces the amount of new coating thickness and helps retain aas much texture as possible. Just what works for me
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 03:14:39 PM »
No. The texturing is intact. When I first used the stuff, I applied it on a small test area and applied it lightly.
I also have the liquid/gel and use it on body panels. Apply with a brush and watch it eat away the paint, then spray it off with a power washer or using a plastic soft scraper.

To add ,it also depends on the year and the color . For instance on a 65/66 black interior you would do as Jeff suggested and just paint. On a 67-70 black interior which is actually not black but a dark charcoal metallic I find that a base coat of black, let dry and then go over that with the charcoal metallic. The charcoal metallic doesn't cover well and the base coat of black keeps you from apply the multiple coats of charcoal metallic that it would take to cover properly . As Jeff mentioned the least amount of paint is best so that you don't fill in the grain and lose detail. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kryptonite

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
As you can see by the pics I posted, it looks like the previous owner(s) cut holes for speakers, at least I don't think they would be factory speakers? So I'm probably going to look for replacements at some point then. I guess with my interior being white, I would just paint, no primer.